Love your neighbor as yourself

by lawrence 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lawrence
    lawrence

Great replies!

Yes, as a pioneer I would do 120, 130, 140, even once 150 hours a month in the worst of conditions, inner city, no car, little money (window washing and floor cleaning) and would tell all - "I love my neighbor." I wouldn't treat a dog the way I treated myself. So how could I love my neighbor?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

When I was a teen I got reproved for expressing my love for the cute blond neighbor down the street.

Rub a Dub

• lawrence
    lawrence

Rub a Dub-

What did the "reproof" consist of? Did you learn anything? Did you bring "your neighbor" into the troof?

• eclipse
    eclipse

Witnesses are not taught to love themselves at all.

Great points lawrence!

Being a witness is like being in an abusive relationship.

It is a rollercoaster of being put down, being told we are not doing enough = we are not good enough,

to being told we are loved and worthy, and discouragement is a sign of humilty.

Which sends the message that unless you're miserable and discouraged you think too highly of yourself,

and you need to do more personal study and prayer.

But when you are discouraged, same recipe is reiterated, more personal study and prayer.

It is all control to keep us from thinking about what we need to make us happy, and to keep us trapped in a servatitude mentality.

Control is the defining mark of an abusive relationship.

• BFD
    BFD

Yes, as a pioneer I would do 120, 130, 140, even once 150 hours a month in the worst of conditions, inner city, no car, little money (window washing and floor cleaning) and would tell all - "I love my neighbor." I wouldn't treat a dog the way I treated myself. So how could I love my neighbor?

Lawrence,

I think at the time your motivation for putting in all these hours was love of neighbor. They all needed someone to lead them to the ark. The problem is the WT$ invokes a twisted form of love with lies and deceit. Follow us or die! How loving.

Changeling hit the nail on the head. You cannot give that which you do not have.

BFD

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

What did the "reproof" consist of? Did you learn anything? Did you bring "your neighbor" into the troof?

Lawrence ...

The reproof with the typical, no microphones, no public prayers, no ministry school, etc. for about 6 months.

Yes, I learned not to get involved with a girl that has a big mouth and has to tell all of her friends about what was going on.

And no, she was not interested in religion ... just a particular fascination for all things oral.

Rub a Dub

• lawrence
    lawrence

BFD-

Yes, Changeling hit the nail on the head. You cannot give that which you do not have.

• lawrence
    lawrence

RubADub-

I read your profile- you found love in your Colombian family. Good for you.

• anewme
    anewme

We must love our neighbor as ourself.

It is a command.

We must be kind to ourselves, caring, generous, forgiving, uncritical, patient and loving.

Just the opposite of the military style lives we led as witnesses. "Suck it up soldier! Get out there and save the lost people of the world!" "Too tired on a Saturday morning? What are you, a pansy? Get up! Get up!"
    Never mind that your wife and kids are begging for a fun weekend and that its been years since you took a vacation. Serve the Almighty Borg! Serve Serve Serve until you are mumbling crying and bleeding and probably God will put you to death anyway because you are worthless to the core!

The whole Witness thing is about obedience to the governing body in Brooklyn, obedience until you die.

There is no mention of loving yourself in that org at all.

If you are having problems, you dont love the borg enough. Do more for the borg and you will feel better is the advice. If your family is having problems, do more for the borg. If your wife complains she is unhappy, tell her to read more and do more for the borg, to immerse herself in the borg. If your teens complain they are not busy enough in borg activity.

No ones private needs are important. Only the governing body and its needs are important.

I could go on but I am making myself sick.

Good topic Lawrence,

Anewme

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The very wording of that command implies that in the ancient world "love of self" is simply taken for granted. It has become a question (including in the JW world) because we have become psychologically more complex (or more conscious of our psychological complexity). And the popularisation of that command has probably played a part in the process...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit