are some warning labels really necessary?

by bigdreaux 41 Replies latest jw friends

• watson
    watson

Well...let's see...yes, I am Rolling on the Floor, Laughing my Ass Off.....

flatulence with oily discharge

Wasn't there a fat free potato chip that had this as a warning?

• John Doe
    John Doe

I still remember the hair restorer that had impotence as a side effect. Seemed to defeat the purpose. :-)

• deeskis
    deeskis

Australia is fast heading down the track to the "land of lititgation"..........

I bought a packet of mixed nuts, and the ingredient label said "warning, this product may contain traces of nuts"........ WTF

• changeling
    changeling

I know someone who had a cold and put Bengay up his nose (like Vick's). He was in so much pain he went to the emergency room.

Makes me think that not only are stupid warning labels necessary but they should be more prominent.

changeling

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

I just bought a cool lighter and on the back of the package..."warning, can cause fire"...

DUH!!!

I also like those advertisements that say it helps with stomach cramps (particularly for PMS) and one side affect is "may cause abdominal pain"

• fokyc
    fokyc

On a packet of peanuts

Contains Peanuts - may contain nuts!

fokyc

• Mum
    Mum

There was a comedian in the '90's (was it Jeff Foxworthy?) who used to do a comedy routine based on these bizzarre warning labels. As a far out hypothetical, he would read something like "Do not ingest orally" on a can of motor oil and say, "You know, at some time in the past, some fool has turned to his wife and said, 'Honey, how do you think this would taste on a Ritz cracker?'"

I once worked for an attorney who sued the company that makes "cook in bag" products. His client put the plastic cooking bag in a glass pan in her oven. Naturally, it blew up. The instructions on the box clearly said, "Use a metal pan." She said she thought glass pans were the same as metal! Duh! She actually did recover about $1800.00. I know which attorney I'll hire the next time I do something really stupid.

Regards,

SandraC

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

"Warning: do not use if you have prostate problems." -- On a box of Midol PMS relief tablets.
    "Remove occupants from the stroller before folding it."
    "Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover." -- On a pair of shin guards made for bicyclists.
    "Do not iron clothes on body."

• snowbird
    snowbird

You would be amazed just how gullible some people are. Especially those from the backwoods. I once knew a young woman - newly married, thank you - who bought her first can of Pillsbury's biscuits. She asked her husband to stand at the counter with his hands cupped so that he could catch the Doughboy when she broke the can open! I kid you not. If she thought there was really a Doughboy in each can of biscuits, imagine what other way-out things she must have done!

Snowbird

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

bigd:

or the one that says if you have an erection lasting 4 hours, go to the hospital..........

priapism...that would be bad....

your warning reminded me once about a year or so ago when I gave a talk in a nearby KH (yes your warning triggered a JW related memory, imagine that)

During the WT study, (I dont remember the study article for context), they were discussing warnings on commercials for medicines on TV. One brother goes on an on about this warning about the 4 hour erections and then says..."4 hours...that's like a part time job!"

That WT conductor (in his 40s) had a look like a deer in the headlights . finally I think someone took the microphone away and they "moved on".

SnakesInTheTower (of the "glad I dont bother with the WT anymore" Sheep Class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit