Locks of Love Donation

by whyamihere 30 Replies latest jw friends

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Well I did it!

Last night, my kids had appointments to have their hair cut, I wanted them to look decent before school starts. As I sat there, realizing I needed one myself, a trim to say the least, I went ahead and asked if she had time for my hair. Thankfully she had the time.

My turn arrived and I sat down, she said "the usual?"

"No", I replied.

"How much can I give to locks of love?" I asked

As she answered with a smile, "You have a good 14 inches to give".

"Go ahead!" I stated.

It was painless, she gave me this long ponytail and said she was proud of me. I planned on doing this for a long time, but never knew when I would have done it. I'm glad, I did it and its going to a good cause. http://www.locksoflove.org/

Oh, my hair is AWESOME!

Brooke

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

That's awesome, Brooke!

I've done it twice--the first time I was going through a breakup, and he loved my hair, so my friend put it in a ponytail and chopped it off...we sent it in the mail.

The second time (last year) I was at a hair salon--they gave me $5 off my cut and sent it for me.

The weight of the hair off your head is very freeing. Hope you enjoy it immensely!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Brooke

this made me tear up

I tried to give blood and I am anemic

and then my hair and it has color on it

If you look at the site for locks of love and see those precious childrens faces with their wigs on, its awesome

much love to you

purps

alt

• JH
    JH

Wow, that's great Brooke

I can only give blood because i have lots of iron to give, but as far as hair goes, I need all the hair I have...lol

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Brooke--that's great! You are helping to make a little one feel like themself again.

Now....Where's a picture?

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Brooke that's great - my goddaughter did the same thing last year!

nj

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

i've been wanting to do that for some time myself.............thanks for the website link~~~

• Mary
    Mary

That is a wonderful sacrifice you made Brooke. Alot of people might not know this, but as a woman, if you have long hair and suddenly get it chopped it, it can be quite an emotional thing, at least it was for me.

The ironic thing about this type of sacrifice/gift to the less fortunate, is that it's apparently not appreciated at all by the Witnesses. I remember a beautiful young girl in my old Hall who had long blonde hair. She got her head shaved at school and donated her hair to children who were on chemotherapy and had lost their own hair. Rather than be praised for what she did, the elders had a little chat with her, basically denouncing what she had done (after all, this System of things will soon be gone----why bother trying to help anyone?). Not only that, but she was not allowed to go out in Service or give any talks until her hair grew back in several inches.

It was disgusting to see all the gossipy sisters standing around before the meeting, talking about what she'd done. I was the only person who went up to her and told her she had done a wonderful thing.

Ah yes, can you feel the love in this religion?

• free2think
    free2think

Brooke that was such a beautiful thing you did.

So when do we get to see the pics of you?

• sspo
    sspo

Ah yes, can you feel the love in this religion?

Mary,

If she would have sold her hair and donated the money to the Society then she would have been praised and looked up to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit