Newspaper Coverage of the UN/WTBTS mess.

by LoneWolf 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• CatholicGuy
    CatholicGuy

The only listing I have is from AOL:

http://aolsearch.aol.com/redir.adp?appname=TTF&query=oregonian&areaid=nw0007&url=http%3a%2f%2faol%2ecom%2fdirectories%2fnewspaper%2eadp

(Don't know if that will work for anyone else)

The Watch Tower Society's stonewalling on this ("It was only a library card") is another potential press release:

"Jehovah's Witnesses deny UN affiliation"

In the first official response to allegations it had maintained a 10 year affiliation with the United Nations Witness spokesman Paul Gillies this week said "xxxxx."

CatholicGuy

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

I'm in. BIG time.

I have been in contact with the Chris Thompson, a reporter with the Star here. He's interested, and I have offered to do an interview with him, and right SMACK dab in the Kingdom Hall. We will go when the rest of the dubs are out.

Of course he will have to keep my name out of it so that I don't end up in a messy divorce like so many of my friends lately. But with all the contacts out there, it should'nt be a problem.

Tomorrow, I might call Crooklyn Lows.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

This is a link to an association of Northwest Pacific Newspapers with addresses:

> http://www.pnna.com/extras/members.html#288

and of course I feel like an idiot because:

tada! http://www.newspapers.com/npcom1.htm

Newspapers.com. Who'd a thunk it!

Slipnslidemaster:"It is always the best policy to tell the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."

- Jerome K. Jerome

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

BX: Is he going to say that the interview was conducted in a KH? That would be such a slap in the face! I love it!

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I requested a database from the guys at newspaper.com.

Of course, this will trigger a visit from the FBI but oh well...

I sent an explaination to them but in today's environment I will be arrested for sure. I'm a little outside my comfort zone on this one.

Slipnslidemaster:"It is always the best policy to tell the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."

- Jerome K. Jerome

• sf
    sf

I sent it out locally and to three different news correspondance at FOXNEWS in New York. Plus the attorney's guestbook; who is rep Stratten Ohio SC case.

sKally, singing..."when the Walls come tumblin' downnnnnnnn"

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Hi, Everyone,

Wonderful!! Getting releases out to all of those newspapers should fire up some interest. Let's just keep a warm interest and encouragement directed toward those reporters and editors and keep feeding them tidbits.

I think what I'm going to do is explain to them why the rank and file are so vehement in their reaction to this situation by sending them this link:

http://wis.i8.com/custody.html

The article is written anonymously, yes. However, I've spent more than 60 years in or around the WTBTS, and I'll tell them that I'd be willing to sign it myself. The only fault that I find with it is that it is, if anything, an understatement.

I'll explain that it is rather lengthy, but if they have any question at all as to what difficulties face those under the WTBTS, this will answer most of them. To sacrifice so much, only to find out that the leadership are two-faced hypocrites is enraging. I'll probably point out how some points apply to me personally.

Here is an updated and expanded version of that last press release:

Press release October 24, 2001

For immediate release

541-946-1231
    [email protected]

Jehovah's Witnesses quit UN affiliation
    "Strict neutrality in political affairs" questioned

Responding to criticism from current and former members the Watch Tower Society (parent organization for Jehovah's Witnesses) this month withdrew its formal association with the United Nations as a NGO (non-governmental affiliate organization). The Watch Tower Society had quietly affiliated with the UN in 1991 in an agreement to "support the Charter" of the United Nations--also agreeing to promote the UN among its members. Watch Tower publications have long labeled the UN as one of the "beasts" of the biblical book of Revelation--the archenemy of the kingdom of God. Some critics of the 6 million member denomination, well known for its aggressive door to door missionary work, believe this is the greatest scandal to hit Watch Tower leadership. "It's comparable to a Catholic finding out that the Vatican had privately agreed to support Planned Parenthood and abortion rights," stated ex-member David Brown of Central Point, Oregon.

The refusal of Witnesses to salute a flag, perform military service, vote or hold public office has often brought them official persecution. Apparently, the Watch Tower Society's affiliation with the United Nations was to get help in their religious freedom struggles. "Their affiliation with the UN as a NGO was much more than just registering with the UN to get help for their members," says Brown. In a letter explaining the sect's withdrawal as a UN affiliate, UN official Paul Hoeffel states that NGO membership involves "support and respect of the principles of the Charter of the United Nations and commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes with its constituents and to a broader audience about UN activities." The Watch Tower Society's affiliation with the UN gave them political clout, status and connections they could not have had otherwise. The connection was not announced in Witness publications and was only recently discovered when it was noticed that the Watch Tower Society was listed on a UN webpage as a NGO member. The public criticism of this connection led to the Watch Tower's disassociation as a UN affiliate. "In October 2001, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York requested termination of its association with DPI [Department of Public Information of the UN]. Following this request, the DPI has made decisions to disassociate the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York as of 9 October 2001," explains UN official Hoeffel.

Membership as a NGO of the UN required annual re-certification. "There have been several seemingly positive articles in the Witnesses' news magazine Awake! discussing the UN in the past few years. It seemed out of character to read such things in Watch Tower publications but it didn't make sense why they were there until now," says Brown. "The Society's Writing Department evidently used UN press releases for Awake! articles and then they could submit these to show they were informing their members of UN activities and keep their NGO membership."

Ex-members and many current members feel this was hypocrisy of the highest caliber. Witness theology has understood the United Nations as "the disgusting thing that causes desolation" (from Matthew's gospel) and as "the image of the wild beast" from Revelation chapter 13. Witnesses believe that all other religions have prostituted themselves to the UN (their interpretation of "Babylon the Great" riding the "scarlet colored wild beast" in Revelation chapter 17) and that soon the UN will turn on "false religion" (all other religions) and destroy them. Improbable as that scenario is the Witnesses believe that because of their "strict neutrality in political affairs" they will not be affected when the UN acts to destroy "false religion" (this being the immediate predecessor of Armageddon). "Most Witnesses have no idea that for the past 10 years the Watch Tower Society was certified as an affiliate organization of the UN along with Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants and other religious bodies promoting its agenda just as the other religions promote theirs," says Brown. "Actually, I think this was a positive development in the history of Jehovah's Witnesses. Unfortunately, it was hypocritical to do so while demonizing the UN in their doctrinal publications. Sadder still, the Watch Tower organization continues to maintain a policy that effectively excommunicates members who get involved in any political activity."

The first official reply from a Watch Tower official was made by Paul Gillies of the Witnesses' branch office in Britian on October 22nd: membership as a NGO was simply a result of "getting a library card" at the UN facilities in New York. Gillies did not explain the annual re-certification process for NGO members which the Watch Tower Society participated in. Nor did he comment on the numerous articles in Awake! which promoted the UN. "This was not a one-time application the Watch Tower Society made where they didn't realize what they were doing," says Brown. "This was a relationship renewed yearly resulting in their news magazine doing PR for the UN. This relationship resulted in favorable UN support for the Witnesses' human rights struggles."

Documentation can be found at this website:

http://www.thetruthhurts.freeservers.com/unitednations.htm

For further information, contact:

David Brown
    541-664-7715
    [email protected]

Watch Tower Society News Office
    718-560-5600

Paul Hoeffel
    Chief NGO Section
    Department of Public Information at the United Nations
    212-963-8070