How can I learn to more assertive?

by Apostate Kate2 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Apostate Kate2
    Apostate Kate2

Thank you Lawrence, I agree. When we allow people to treat us unjustly we are enabling them to do wrong. I feel strongly about that. However the problem lies in being afraid of what may happen after you say no and stand up for yourself.

It sux how much we are products of our past no matter how hard we try to put it behind us.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

The ability to be cool is much more valuable. ask yourself who is talking in your head and telling you you need to be more assertive? Your husband, your mother, father, brother sister, people at the Hall? Take it from an asshole. The ability to be an asshole is a mixed blessing to be sure. I can be an incredib;le asshole. It's being cool when things get hot that's the real talent. They were just kids. Let it go. Anyone can be an asshole to kids. It doesn't make it right. Be cool like you are instead.

• Apostate Kate2
    Apostate Kate2

Awe thank you Shawn. I understand what you are saying. There is a delicate balance between being assertive and being an a**hole..lol...

I'm going to do some reading and try a few excercises in assertivness training and I'll tell you why. Right now I need to make a phone call, I am intimidated and stalling. The reason is the person I need to call is rich, I provide a charity for her company, but I have never talked or introduced myself to her before.

I always felt that we are not there to hang out with the rich and the beautiful but to provide love to those who are poor and not beautiful anymore. The charity is growing and I really need to meet with her. Why am I intimidated? I am not sure but there is more to the story then I can divulge.

So here I go...I simply must do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit