Our company has gone home

by Mulan 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

We have had company (ex JW's) from England, for six days and they left early this morning to go home.

It was a great week. They met our entire family, we went camping, a day trip to the San Juan Islands, and it was so much fun. It was like a six day party.

And...........except for some funny stories about conventions in the 60's, we didn't even talk about having been JW's. The dramas are done in the US, and the American English doesn't always convey what they expect in Britain. Very funny!

• hubert
    hubert

Bloody hell !!!! Wish I could have been there.

Oh..... I used to work with an englishman.

Hubert

• moshe
    moshe

So you had a capital good time, I take it? Wondferful. My son lives in Everett, Wa- works on the new Boeing 787 plane- Now, could I visit you when I come and see him?

• Poztate
    Poztate

Glad to hear you had a good time. I know it is sometimes hard when you have company, especially an Englishman to understand them when they talk to you.

They always say it is us who have the accent and not them but we know better.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I know it is sometimes hard when you have company, especially an Englishman to understand them when they talk to you.

Ye, the language is similar, but by no means the same.

We had many good laughs over the different nuances and outright major differences. Same words, but very different meanings.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Mulan,

Nice to hear that the visit from your company did not end up like fish, after a couple days, it smells.

Dismembered

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Isn't it wonderful when you have company that you totally ENJOY having with you and can't wait to have then come back to visit?

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass
    The dramas are done in the US, and the American English doesn't always convey what they expect in Britain.

A lot gets lost in translation in Australia too. Or are they supposed to be a big cheese corn dog?

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

You should post some pictures of their visit, Mulan!

Nina

• Mulan
    Mulan

you think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit