Anyone recall the WTS's crazy notions about the literal "heart"?

by fahrvegnugen 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind
    Mucous brains all!

Ouch!! I resemble that remark!!

Open Mind

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I was in NYC for that DC, and remember the huge model heart and brain onstage. We had evening sessions then, and the models had lights inside so that whichever one was "talking" at the moment lit up.

The heart supposedly was the seat of emotions, the brain of intellect.

I was still a teenager, I think, but a little reading about heart transplant patients made me realize pretty quickly that this idea was nonsense!

S4

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

"Heart" is one of those sections where Insight on the Scriptures has major editing to remove those ideas that were in the old Aid to Bible Understanding. I think the idea first surfaced about 1970. I don't know when it was discarded but evidently before the Insight volumes in 1988.

• TD
    TD

I was in NYC for that DC, and remember the huge model heart and brain onstage. We had evening sessions then, and the models had lights inside so that whichever one was "talking" at the moment lit up.

LOL --I was also a teenager at the "Divine Name" 1971 convention, only in Cincinatti.

The drama was sort of a morality play in which modern characters would be faced with tough choices. At crucial moments of decision, (Like whether to go to the meeting after a hard day's work or not.....) the action would freeze and the 12 foot tall heart and brain models would light up and flash as they argued with each other.

That was pretty much the end of my interest in JW's. I wanted to crawl under my chair.

At the time, the whole thing reminded me very strongly of the TV series 'Star Trek' which had only recently been canceled. --Not only did the contrived bifurcation between emotion and logic seem to be lifted directly from the Spock character, but the show often used the same flashing light effect when something without a mouth (Like a disembodied brain) was talking

• moshe
    moshe

I saw the same flashing heart in 1971 at Shreveport, LA. - and that idea has quietly been burried by the all knowing GB.

• tinker
    tinker

Oh yes, I remember that teaching well. And the Kidneys too.....there is a scripture about Jehovah reading the kidneys....don't remember and no time to look it up.

My mother often used that phrase with Bible students 'reaching deep into the heart' As if the heart was the brain. It is more romantic than scientific.

I do believe all our organs make chemicals that effect emotions and thought. And vice versa, our thoughts produce chemicals that effect our organs.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I remember a JW who studied™ with me in the late 1970's told me that part of the heart was composed of cells identical to the cells that make up the brain, and this is where our emotions and motivations were.

Yeah, right.

I think I may have such cells in my ass, as I usually prefer third grade toilet humour to any other.

W

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I don't know if all that 'heart/brain' business just never made it this far west, or if I was simply too bored at the time they were making such a big deal on the subject. I DO however remember a lot of business about kidneys being where our emotions or love or something existed. Personally, I just thought they filtered our blood wastes into urine, but, whatever.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Yep, flashing heart and brain, LA 1971.

Now that I think about it, probably was the best part of the hot summer eveing at a DC...a giant heart and brain all lit up talking to each other.

(Hey B!!!!)

• Poztate
    Poztate

The heart supposedly was the seat of emotions, the brain of intellect.

I was in Vancouver British Columbia for that ASSembly. I was kinda new in the "truth"™ and was a typical brain dead..don't think for yourself kind of DUB.

I did think....boy that faithful and excrete slave class sure is smart to know that the heart has got a lotta smarts and is not just a dumb pump for blood.

Just wait till them medical doctors and scientists find out what the real facts are. We are sure going to make them look stupid.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit