JW School

by Wordly Andre 23 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't think such schools exist today, but when they did, it was for those who got expelled from regular school for things like not saluting the flag or other problems that the Society created itself. As for the quality of the "education", it is likely to be wretched because there are so many things that simple logic would be able to refute what the Watchtower Society says as doctrine or to support their doctrines. After all, they say that reading four years of the Asleep! magazines is equivalent to a college education. The University of Stupidity!

Home schooling is in fact fairly common. I know of one family where the kids didn't want the holidays and the worldly association that comes with regular school. The parents chose the textbooks, rejecting books on the grounds of a single "dirty" word (and they called the word "crap" dirty). And they were biased for the Watchtower doctrines, like creation (I feel evolution, while not absolutely proven, is much more plausible than creation anyway). But it's those "bad associations" that sucker most of them into home schooling. Usually the quality of such "education" is crap and they miss out on all the holidays and field trips (unless you call a trip to the A$$embly Hell or to Beth Hell a field trip).

How much they miss out on! I remember field trips to the Boston Museum of Science. I have been on a math competition team, which was a lot of fun. I have also seen field trips to animal farms, to the zoo, and once to a maple syrup processing farm. These trips help integrate what you learn in the classroom with real life, and the Witlesses miss out on them. Not to mention college prefrosh trips, trips to computer fairs, and the like. If the parents would provide those in their home schooling (and make sure that the education material isn't all pro-JW), it might be OK. But most of them miss out on so much education from this.

• Apostate Kate2
    Apostate Kate2

S4, the name does sound familiar but my memory of that era is really bad. I'll send the names to my daughter. She still has some friends from the school. They are all either Christians now or out of the org.

I gotta be honest, the education was very good. They used Saxon math for those of you that are familiar with textbooks. They did not use any WT literature in the school which was kinda wierd. You would think that they would. After I got out of the org. and explained why to the kids, (my poor daughter thought I had lost my mind) I put them in the Seventh Day Adventist Academy that was highly rated. They were not behind at all. The public schools were pretty bad we did try them but it was horrible. Both kids went on to college and do fine.

The schools focus didn't seem to be to teach them JW doctrine, but to keep them away from "worldy" people.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I remember there was a JW school in Phoenix called "New World School" or something like that. I don't think it still operates, however.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

The one I am thinking of was near the one ways in Norwalk, it also closed down, I remember my parents saying that they wanted to send my sister and me there, but it turns out it was a school mostly for bad JW kids, seems that none of us can remember the names of the schools ha ha ha are we trying to block it out?

• Mum
    Mum

Andre: Are you saying you were not a "bad" JW kid? You have the same problem I've had, not being able to lower my standards enough to be accepted by certain people.

• Apostate Kate2
    Apostate Kate2
    The one I am thinking of was near the one ways in Norwalk, it also closed down, I remember my parents saying that they wanted to send my sister and me there, but it turns out it was a school mostly for bad JW kids, seems that none of us can remember the names of the schools ha ha ha are we trying to block it out?

What a small world. I lived on Pioneer Bld right at the Norwalk brder of Artesia and went to the Norwalk congo a few times. Studied with two very sweet older ladies. It was early 80s then, I never heard of a school there but my daughter was a baby so probably wouldn't been in the know with what they were doing with the older kids. I am trying now to start piecing together the jagged edges of my past. I remember fine from 4 to 8. That is when the Watchtower came in to my life. I have blocks of time that are just not there. People will tell me do you remember when ......... and sometimes with many hints I may, some stuff is still blocked. When your life is one nightmare after another, when you wake up you try to forget that aweful dream.

• thepackage
    thepackage

Andre: I beleive the one you are talking about is called "Trouble Free Education".

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Yeah thats it TFE, ha ha ha thanks!!

• loosie
    loosie

I actually went to the one in Santa Ana CA that was called " New World Educational Center". The principle was Dan Williams and the vice principle was Jan Lynn. This one was in operation for all the 70's thru mid 80's

• gigiramone
    gigiramone

@AnneB: I'm not in the truth or anything, but it was funny because I was doing some genealogy research on my family and came across this page and registered so I could help out your memory hehe. Barbara Dupaquier is actually my grandmother, she's alive and well down the street from me. My mom went to that school when she was a kid and I think her brother did for a little while too. All 3 of my aunts were already out of school by the time that one was started.

As far as a name, I don't recall ever hearing the name for the school. My mom just calls it "That Witness school I had to go to". My grandma just calls it "The Witness school I ran back in the Valley". I'll ask them about that and get back. I don't know anything about her turning it over to one of my aunts. If she really did, I'll assume it was either to Cathy or Marilyn. But I think Cathy didn't live down there anymore by that time, and I'm pretty sure wasn't with the truth anymore. I know my grandma was the Principal as well as the English teacher. I don't know about anyone's qualifications, but I know my grandma wasn't certified or anything. But she is pretty darn knowledgable of the English language and reads huge books faster than anyone I've encountered.I don't know when it got shut down, but I know she decided to relocate the family to Oregon in the very early 80's but I don't know if she turned it over to anyone or if it was just stuck in limbo.

My mom can support that statement about the quality of education not being up to par. From what I've always been told by my family, my grandma and a few other witnesses had become increasingly concerned with the state of the public school system there in the Valley, there were more gang kids sprouting up and causing trouble, people were dealing pot, etc... They wanted to keep their kids away from all those influences so they just started up this sort of makeshift school. My mom still has class pictures with all of her classmates and teacher.

About two years ago some of the family including myself went on a roadtrip down to the Valley to see the homes they grew up in and stuff, and we ended up driving by the school. It's a different kind of school now, but if memory serves me right, the McDonald's still stands.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit