JW School

by Wordly Andre 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Back in the late 80's and early 90's in Southern California, some where near LA. there was a school for Jehovah's Witness kids, does anyone remember what it was called

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I heard homeschooling is quite common among American Witnesses, is that so? I have met some American Witnesses who certainly were no advert for the benefits of homeschooling! But the Society don't seem interested in setting up thier own schools or colleges in lands where it would be allowed, in contrast to other groups like Adventists and Mormons.

I remember reading in Apocalypse Delayed that Rutherford initiated a scheme where they would create their own schools during the flag salute controversy, but that was short lived because the Witnesses won the court cases and they quickly gave up on the idea of creating schools.

Slim

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

In the early 70's a couple of my older JW friends(former, anyway) went to one of those so. cal schools. Sorry I don't know the name. I definitely got the impression that they both considered their education to be somewhat of a joke. There may have been better schools. They were both very bright, beautiful girls, and I always had the impression they regretted their 2-3 years there.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I had a JW friend in the Victorville, CA area and his son went to JW school. NOT home schooling, an actual school.

Not too sure about the quality of education!
    S4

• changeling
    changeling

Imagine a school were all info comes form the Awake! What an educated bunch!

changeling

• Kudra
    Kudra

god save us.

• Apostate Kate2
    Apostate Kate2

My kids went to a JW school in Southern California, Riverside a little east of LA. I don't know that it had a name. It was all word of mouth, no advertising. It was off Magnolia Ave on Elizabeth Ave. I would drop them off at their JW school, then go clean houses with my JW friends. lol...typical

My kids actually liked it, they went until it closed down. They did teach secular studies well. After it closed they went to the house of one of the teachers, she had turned the garage into a classroom.

What can I tell ya, I was screwed up.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Apostate Kate:

Do the names Ernie, Deb, Todd and Trent Blanchard ring a bell?

S4

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I didn't hear very much about those schools, but I was glad I never went. I felt watched even with one other dub kid in my school...imagine what a whole boatload of them must be like..!

You know when you got in trouble at school, it was a call home. So what, was this a call to your congregation elder???

• AnneB
    AnneB

There was a "witness school" in Reseda, just off Sherman Way west of Reseda Blvd. I can't remember the name of the side street but there was a McDonalds across the street on the corner. The story I was told was that a brother canvassed the state of California collecting funds to open a chain of private witness schools...and then disappeared. Some schools never opened, some were opened by parents and operated independently, as this one was. The teachers had to be witnesses in good standing with adequate hours per month in field service. They checked...so much for the confidentiality of KH records! The students were supposed to be baptized witnesses or in good standing. This was in the days before the unbaptized publisher category existed. Basically if one of the parents met their requirement the student was admitted. Lessons were a joke. Teacher qualifications were non-existent other than they be JW's. Students were usually enrolled after they caused trouble in a public school.

The school didn't have an official name as far as I am aware. People just called it Kingdom School but didn't even use that name very often. The state of CA maintains a list of all private schools, by counties, somewhere on its website. They have listings even for closed schools. You might find more detailed information there if you try searching the list by county then city, etc.

The woman who operated the school was named Barbara Dupaquier. She turned the daily maintenance of the school over to her daughter the last few years. I don't remember the daughter's name.

I've been away from that area for many years. I don't remember much about the school beyond what I've mentioned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit