Woman to Face Death by Stoning for Adultery

by closer2fine 22 Replies latest jw friends

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

. http://news.excite.com/news/r/011019/08/odd-sharia-dc

LAGOS (Reuters) - A Nigerian Muslim sharia court has sentenced a nursing mother to death by stoning after she was convicted of adultery, a Nigerian newspaper reported on Friday.

The court in Sokoto state in northern Nigeria convicted Safiya Hussaini for adultery and ordered she be stoned to death once she has finished weaning her baby, state-owned Daily Times newspaper said.

The court acquitted Yakubu Abubakar whom Hussaini said made her pregnant. She has 30 days to appeal the sentence.

Sokoto government officials were not immediately available for comment. Sokoto is one of more than a dozen states in predominantly Islamic northern Nigeria which have proclaimed sharia law.

Multi-ethnic Nigeria is bitterly divided over sharia law, which was first adopted by Zamfara state in 1999.

Hundreds of people were killed in 2000 in bouts of Christian-Muslim bloodletting after some northern states adopted sharia law.

Hussaini, a housewife, was not put in custody but was told she had to present herself on the appropriate date for execution.

"If she fails to do so, the police and the general public will be used to bring her to court," the Daily Times quoted presiding judge Mohammed Sanyinnawal as saying.

A court in Zamfara state last year acquitted a man who impregnated a teenage girl. She was sentenced to caning.

Rights groups describe sharia court sentences as barbaric and a violation of fundamental human rights.

closer

Mean People Produce
    Little Mean People

• Stealth
    Stealth

Now there is one way to get rid of high lawyer fees and having to pay alamony.

• Seeker
    Seeker

Funny how it is men who write these holy books they claim come from God, and then it is men who are forever getting off the hook in these adultery cases while it's the women who must die for their wickedness. What women go through around the world in the name of religion is hideous.

• guesswho
    guesswho

At first I thought this might be a new Body of Elder Letter!

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I would suggest to her that she makes sure her child keeps nursing while she seeks an exit visa. Some mothers keep it going for three or four years.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

The sad part is, the bible a long time ago commanded people be stoned to death, including women who did not scream loud enough to be heard if they were raped. Sorta makes me stop and think.

This poor woman and her poor child. I wonder if she's really actually guilty? Maybe her husband doesn't want her anymore or maybe she was raped herself. I am almost willing to bet she did not have a "fair" trial.

Is there anything that can be done to stop this crap?

• Tina
    Tina

Hi moe,
    Doesn't matter if she's guilty or not,the punishment concept is insane let alone gender biased and archaic...and who gives anybody the right to be the 'morality police and executioner' anyway?
    What can be done? education for a start.Adhering to ancient patriarchal myth superstition and inequality rules/laws/concepts needs to be done away with. Tina

si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

• Kent
    Kent

Well, if the JWs had the control of a state - what would THEY have done?

What would ALL PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD have done, living in that state, a few years back?

Scary thought, eh?

But, what the heck. It's called "Freedom Of Religion"!!!

Yakki Da

Kent

I need more BOE letters, KMs and other material. Those who can send it to me - please do! The new section will be interesting!!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• blondie
    blondie

But interestingly, the Bible does say that both the man and the woman would be stoned, not just the woman.

And it was only engaged or married women who were stoned. If you were a divorced woman you would not be stoned, or a single woman, only a fine paid to the father, and the man was required to marry her unless she didn't want to and the father agreed.

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

someone said: "But interestingly, the Bible does say that both the man and the woman would be stoned, not just the woman.
    And it was only engaged or married women who were stoned."

mmmm...geee, that IS interesting--kinda puts a "new light" on it all together--NOT!!!!!!!!!!
    It was a barbaric concept, IS a barbaric concept--not matter which god you do it, or excuse it in the name of. It is WRONG. period. Thanks (I mean this sincerely) for reminding me why I do not worship OT bible god.

Pax,
    Bridgette
    p.s. go to search engine and type in Amnesty International. You will find many ways to help. Letters and voices DO help.
    and Kent, you are so right--no doubt a JW run state would closely resemble this--if NOT WORSE! They probably would not feel the need to even have a mockery of a trial--they would probably just "pray" and draw straws, beleiving as they do that they are OH SO PRIVILEDGED AND DRIVEN BY HOLY SPIRIT. makes me want to vomit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit