Need photocopy of 1967 WT, p. 262 on 1975

by cabasilas 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I was listening to the lecture posted here by AlphaOmega and Sinutko quotes the 1967 WT, p. 262 with a very strong quote about 75. I went to the WT's CD-ROM and looked up the reference and it reads entirely differently. But, Sinutko says he is quoting, not paraphrasing.

The transcript of the lecture has Sinutko saying this:

"Well, we don’t have to guess what the year 1975 means if we read the Watchtower. Because the Watchtower has been very explicit as to what the year 1975 means to us. If you wish to write down the page, 262, in the [May 1] 1967 issue of the Watchtower, we read:

What does the year 1975 mean for humankind? The end of 6000 years of human existence, and possibly, [voice raising dramatically] the time when God executes the wicked and starts off a thousand-year reign under his son Jesus Christ.

Unquote."

The WT's CD-ROM has:

"Interestingly, the autumn of the year 1975 marks the end of 6,000 years of human experience. This is ascertainable from reliable chronology preserved in the Bible itself. What will that year mean for humankind? Will it be the time when God executes the wicked and starts off the thousand-year reign of his Son Jesus Christ? It very well could, but we will have to wait to see. Yet of this we can be certain: the generation that Jesus said would witness those events is nearing its close. The time is close at hand. On God’s "timetable" we are in the closing days of a wicked system of things that will soon be gone forever. A glorious new order is immediately before us. This is, therefore, good reason for Christians everywhere to rejoice. Yes, they rejoice because fulfillment of their prayers for the kingdom of God is now at hand.—Luke 21:28."

Anyone have the original 67 WT bound volume with that page? (page 262)

Thanks!

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Your wish is my command

From Bound Volume

Full size scan here http://i15.tinypic.com/4u3yznm.jpg

Squished for JWD scan here...

alt

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Thanks! So, was Sinutko just paraphrasing what the 67 WT said?

Was your photocopy from the original 67 WT bound volume or the reprint one? I've never seen documentation of any changes in the reprint one before but I'd like to confirm that the original 67 WT said the same thing.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Hmmm...

My bound version is the one with the white edges, so I guess, not a real old one.

ODDLY there is no title page, so I cannot give you a printing date.

Maybe someone has the original magazine ? Atlantis where are you ?

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Thanks for checking. Does anyone have a red-edged copy of the 67 WT Bound volume to check this page? Perhaps Sinutko was just paraphrasing, but he goes out of his way to say he is quoting. Just seems odd.

Sinutko reads from that WT:

"What does the year 1975 mean for humankind? The end of 6000 years of human existence, and possibly, the time when God executes the wicked and starts off a thousand-year reign under his son Jesus Christ.

Unquote."

The WT on the CD-ROM and the Reprint volume says:

What will that year mean for humankind? Will it be the time when God executes the wicked and starts off the thousand-year reign of his Son Jesus Christ?

Is this an example of where a district overseer overstated what the WT said? Or, did the original WT say what Sinutko said it did?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

"It very well could, but we shall have to wait and see."

Classic move. It gives people near certainty that something is going to happen, but gives them an escape clause. It's like saying, "Could there be pie a la mode waiting for you at home? There very well could, but you shall have to wait and see." In the listener's mind, the pie is all but certain, and when the person skips food so that they can eat the whole pie, but then is disappointed, the promiser says, "I told you to wait and see. I didn't say there a 100% possibility with the pie." Thus, the promiser escapes any responsibility!

• Apostate Kate2
    Apostate Kate2

They have flip flopped so much on the meaning of "generation" in relation to 1914. "This generation" that witnessed the events of 1914 will not pass away before Amageddon comes. One would have to be a certain age before they could witness something you would think? So looking at numbers they know they are in trouble.

1914 - 2007 = 93 So when the last person on earth dies that was born in 1914, they are in deep trouble. The new light will have to get pretty darn bright, or have they already got something planned?

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I came across this instance where this 67 WT was quoted on the old Quotes page:

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/index.php/watchtower_quotes/watchtower-dates/_1975/

It looks the same as the CD-ROM. I'm guessing that Sinutko was just paraphrasing.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    What does the year 1975 mean for humankind? The end of 6000 years of human existence, and possibly, [voice raising dramatically] the time when God executes the wicked and starts off a thousand-year reign under his son Jesus Christ.

I guess that he was paraphrasing. Nice use of the word possibly falls in line with the printed Watchtower.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Cabasilas:

I have the "red edge" copy of that 1967 WT Bound Volume which reads "exactly" word for word as the scan provided by AlphaOmega. I would provide you with a scan of the page but I am locked in the middle of "pdf " mode and I can not scan two documents at the same time using the same program in pdf mode.

Just as soon as the book has been compiled in pdf I will send you a scan of that same page from the "red edge" Bound Volume.

Cheers! Atlantis-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit