Did You See Brothers Use Politics to Reach Out For M/S or Elder Positions?

by flipper 24 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

I recall there was a congo member that became an elder even though he was clearly not mature enough for the task and there were others waiting who were clearly more capable.

It was obviously his influential elder father in law that got him the position.

• flipper
    flipper

Hello all wanted to respond to your takes. Thanks for the responses, very interesting takes.

YBEHERE- I know what you mean. Certain elders would cozy up to c.o.'s and when their boy would get assigned to another circuit they were out of luck for assembly parts. You sound like you were a just elder though, willing to stand up for what was right! Right on, more power to you.

STILLA- LOL I was only a ministerial servant for 6 years. Never got to be an elder. Can I have you over for dinner and "earn " my appointment ? I'm a good cook, Mrs. Flipper digs my cooking!

GREGOR- Nothing worse than a guy with a temper wanting to be an elder. Can't you just see him losing it with an obstinate publisher in a jc meeting ? You guys would have been breaking up fights constantly. Dude sounded like a pontificating a$$hole.

MINIMUS- Just like any business in corporate America, money will buy you favors . It certainly did this elder. Hope he and the co had a nice vacation!! Maybe they are mates now, who knows!

LESTARD- I agree with you that elders kids had an advantage . Some would take that and run with it, but it made me very uncomfortable. My dad was city overseer 30 years in one town and people were constantly coming up to me saying," Oh! Your so and sos son. We so think your family is great", and they'd almost fall over themselves doing an act of worship to me. It sickened me. I'd say I'm just a normal publisher no different than you, it was creepy being treated like that for the position my dad held and not based on anything I did or accomplished.

AMBER ROSE- I do empathize with what Drew went through. I was right there. I was told that had I kept up my spiritual pace in my late 20's I might have been appointed an elder, but like Drew I was not the suck up type or kiss up type either. It was for the best, I wouldn't have lasted in that position, would have got pissed off at other elders playing politics, too independent for it.

GREENDAWN- Yes, wasn't there a scripture that said," Foolishness has been put in many high positions" ? Certainly fits, don't ya think? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Deffinitely there was politics involved. Thank God. That opened my eyes to the realtiy of the magazine publishing company. I dealt with a God who wasnt listening when I reached out. And others kissed hiny and were successful. I can kiss hiny if I have to for money at work. But when I'm dealing with God, I'm not going to kiss a mans Hiny.

That got me thinking in 74 but still being in the same dimension in 76 set me free.

• James Free
    James Free

I saw politics in use all the time. I spent some time in Cyprus and I can tell you the WT there is riddled with it. It's all very ugly.

• exwitless
    exwitless
    Our last CO needed surgery to remove certain brothers from his colon.

That's hilarious!

In our congregation, there were very strong family ties. Generally speaking, an elder's son had a free ticket to be an MS whenever he was ready, then eventually an elder. It was usually about who you were related to in our congregation.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Most of the ministerial servants I knew had brown noses, lips, and chins. They looked a bit like goatees, which brings me to another thought. I think I finally understand why the elders preferred the brothers™ to be clean shaven. It was for their own comfort during the ass kissing process.

W

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks for all your replies. I can feel the smoke coming off all your a$$e$, having been burned by the political game that is called reaching out for "privileges",more appropiately called " brown nosing."

JAGUAR- Man, I really agreed with your points. Been there done that. I agree if I'm going to kiss up it won't be to any man trying to control my relationship with God.

JAMES FREE- Politics are rampant in American congregations too, just like Cyprus congregations, believe me!

EXWITLESS- It's true exwitless that blood is thicker than water in the org. All elders sons have to do is virtually flash a smile and at 20 they are appointed ministerial servants. While brother old and faithful will put out for years and never get appointed. Not what you know but who you know.

FINALLY FREE- That is frigging hilarious!! Pretty gross humor, but I love it! But so true! Peace out all, Mr. Flipper

• DannyHaszard
  • Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    FINALLY FREE- That is frigging hilarious!! Pretty gross humor, but I love it! But so true!

Actually, I have to give the credit for that one to my late mother, who was a faithful JW to the end. She believed in the doctrines, but the elders were completely transparent to her.

W

• flipper
    flipper

DANNY- I know you've seen everything underthe sun, and then some. I agree , we've all seen it.

FINALLY FREE- Props to your mom then, must have been a hell of a lady. My mom is the same way. At 80 she is more into serving God , takes the elders with a grain of salt. She has her own mind, but I believe she stays in it for my dad, who has been a elder for 50 plus years. She is still a cool woman though, spunky

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit