To believe or not believe...

by changeling 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• changeling
    changeling

that seems to be the question around here lately.

People's panties have been getting into quite a twist over this one.

Personally, I don't believe. But I'd like to put that aside and focus on something else.

I'd like to focus on: Now what?

What can we individually and collectively do to make this planet a better place to live? What can we do that trully makes a difference?

I'll start: recycle, use those curly light bulbs, smile more, show kindness, promote the Arts, fight domestic abuse, shun entertainment that promotes hatred of women...

Tell me what you do...

changeling

• Heather
    Heather

I try to recycle and we already use those energie efficent bulbs. I f you talking about the environment then I try to do my part. As far as other things....its always a struggle...i try different things to improve life and to help my family to be happy....mostly its inner change for me...discovery...although I haven't been discovering much lately cept that crayon can be a bitch to get off walls.....: P

I was telling my husband the other day.....If we could manage it ..I would love to have acerage to have my own little farm and animals on and just kinda ba able to do things for ourselves. Maybe I was born in the wrong century........then again maybe not.......: )

• poppers
    poppers

Good topic. I recycle, use the curly lightbulbs, ride a bike instead of driving a car whenever possible (I use my car once a week to get food and visit my brother, a total of 16 miles travelled), limit my use of electricity, keep my house at 57 in winter, live in the moment, act consciously instead of react unconsciously and help others to do the same.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well I have the curly light bulbs because our lord speaking through Wal-Mart tells us we must. I recycle, I donate to local charities. I like to be a secret friend to little kids - send presents to them from their "secret Friend" - of course parents always in on it so no one is worried about what's going on. Kids need attention from more than just their family - that's something everyone can try to do - buy a curly light bulb and a present for a kid. The kid will feel special and life will be brighter, esp. if you pick a family that could use the help. A struggling mom with kids, for instance, or a poor working family.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

I recycle and I'm not sure if we use the curly lightbulbs, but I think just smiling helps people through the day too. A smile goes a long way.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I recycle/compost what I can, try to grow my garden and veg organically, use low energy light bulbs, save bathwater and collect rainwater to use on the garden, keep my water usage to a minimum (eg only wash clothes when I have a full machine load) and support a few charities which help to make other peoples' and animals' lives a bit better.

• rebel8
    rebel8

good thread....

consume less, reuse what you can, compost

next time you buy a chemical, take the time to find the one that is least harmful to the environment (just did this w/hair spray & who knew--some hair sprays still deplete ozone--i switched)

plant a tree or nine, and nurture them

join a community service group and do something that really makes the world a better place

smile at a complete stranger and say hello for no reason at all

be kind to service people, treat them like individual human beings (waiters, cashiers...)

turn off the tv, find a peaceful place outdoors, sit there quietly admiring nature

visit your public library

listen to a local musician or view the work of a local artist and take time to really admire it

read a book about something totally different than you'd normally choose to read about

make love more

• wherehasmyhairgone
    wherehasmyhairgone

This is a funny thing that i have heard a number of times, and also found myself doing as well.

Since I threw out all the wool rubbish that is religious belief, i have found I am:

1) More tolerant of other people and their lifestyles

2) More Charitable

3) More environment aware

4) More of a desire to 'really' make a different

5) Read more books!

6) Better understanding of life and its origins

7) Planning for retirement more seriously now

8) will ensure my children get a better education and continue into Uni.

I have yet to come across a down side to have no religious belief anymore.

Steve

• greendawn
    greendawn

I also use the curly light bulbs AKA compact fluorescent lamps for about four years now they do last for ages and save substantially on electricity and therefore pollution. The other thing is to use rechargeable batteries, that really saves on pollution because they can be recharged and reused hunderds of times. They are not particularly expensive nowadays.

I also use the car minimally and go around in town on foot. Car is for long distances, heavy shopping, and when it rains. All that walking also helps for being healthy and keeping down the weight.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Changeling:

I'd like to focus on: Now what?

What can we individually and collectively do to make this planet a better place to live? What can we do that trully makes a difference?

Once we have clearly seen the folly of beliefs, the next step is to meet with Reality.alt

I strongly suggest, either buying the book, or better yet getting your hands on the audio book: A New Earth: Awaking to Your Life's Purpose, by Eckhart Tolle.

I have just finished listening to the audio book version narrated by Eckhart himself. It's a masterpiece!

The audio version is also available as a torrent. I've met with Eckhart, and can assure you he would find joy in the fact that you felt it important enough to swipe it off the web.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit