to all who were DF'd

by somebody 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

So anyway, what happened was, the appeal committee upheld the DFing. My letter didn't work. :) Likely, of course, because I told the committees (both present) that I didn't care if I was DF'd or not. When one elder told me that "it would be a real hardship on my family to have to shun me" I laughed at him, telling him I knew they wouldn't follow the rules. When I discussed the jw-media.org website, I was told that "some alleged website is not our authority." When I discussed the WT articles and the Flock book conditions, I was told that the elders "MAY" hold the matter in abeyance, not that they had to. I did write the Service Dept. at Brooklyn Bethel twice asking for confirmation and their opinion on the matter.

Watchtower
    25 Columbia Heights
    Brooklyn, NY 11201-2483
    Attn: Service Dept.
    To Whom It May Concern:
    Greetings. The purpose of my writing is to hopefully get an informational response to a situation that has developed regarding my status as one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I was baptized at the age of seventeen on December 3rd, 1989. Some time in June of 1997 I quietly stopped attending meetings and any official functions of Jehovah's Witnesses. I did receive the requisite shepherding calls, but decided not to restore my status as an active minister and participant in the Jehovah's Witness religion at that time. Shortly thereafter, my wife received counsel and suggestions from several congregation members, including elders, that her association with me might be limited to merely spending the night in our home, and to avoid any unnecessary contact with me. I never attempted to persuade my wife from relieving herself from attending meetings and so forth. In fact, I tried to keep as quiet as I could regarding the reasons for my inactive status, and never communicated such to any active Witnesses in the local community. In October of 1997 my wife decided to move out of our home. We later reconciled and have been living together again since March of 1998.

I continued in my decision to not attend any official Jehovah's Witness functions, meetings, conventions, Memorial services, informal gatherings, or any such assemblies at all, and I stuck to my policy of being careful not to talk about my inactivity or any spiritual issues with any active Witnesses in my local community.

Some time around the summer of 1999, I reacquainted myself with a friend who had been disfellowshipped from another congregation besides the one I had been attending. We became good friends again. A few weeks before the Memorial, two elders from my former congregation paid me a visit under the pretense of inviting me to the service. Eventually they explained that the real reason for their visit was to inform me that a judicial committee was being formed, based on my association with a disfellowshipped person.

To make a long story short, I did attend the scheduled hearing. I did not deny that I had association with a disfellowshipped person, but I also felt that due to my almost three years of inactivity, that it was entirely unnecessary for me to be disfellowshipped. The elders disagreed and disfellowshipped me. I appealed their decision, but because I was not repentant, and did not make a resolve to cease my association with this person and regain my status as an active Jehovah's Witness, the appeal committee upheld the original committee's decision.

I did bring to the elders' attention a guideline printed in the Watchtower, which reads as follows:

"If Mary had reported first to the body of elders, they would have been faced with a similar decision. How would they handle confidential information coming into their possession? They would have had to make a decision based on what they felt Jehovah and his Word required of them as shepherds of the flock. If the report involved a baptized Christian who was actively associated with the congregation, they would have had to weigh the evidence as did Mary in determining if they should proceed further. If they decided that there was a strong possibility that a condition of "leaven" existed in the congregation, they might have chosen to assign a judicial committee to look into the matter. (Galatians 5:9, 10) If the one under suspicion had, in effect, resigned from being a member, not having attended any meetings for some time and not identifying herself as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, they might choose to let the matter rest until such time as she did begin to identify herself again as a Witness." (Watchtower, 9/1/87, pg. 14)

I was informed that my time spent as an inactive Witness (nearly three years) was not long enough for me to have "in effect, resigned from being a member."

I also brought to the elders' attention what is found at the official Public Relations website for Jehovah's Witnesses:

"Those who simply cease to be involved in the faith are not shunned." (URL: http://www.jw-media.org/beliefs/beliefsfaq.htm)

I explained that that is what I had done, and that my association with a disfellowshipped person is certainly not out of the ordinary for someone who simply had ceased to be involved in the faith. I was told that "some alleged website is not (the elders') authority."

My disfellowshipping has caused considerable stress for my wife, as much of her family and all of her friends are practicing Jehovah's Witnesses who, for the past three years, generally felt comfortable in my presence, but now for obvious reasons do not. It seems to me that the written and stated policies provided from the Watchtower certainly could have prevented me from being disfellowshipped. If I have any recourse from writing this letter, I certainly would appreciate your informing me of it.

The congregation which disfellowshipped me was the South Cheektowaga Congregation located near Buffalo, NY. The chairman of the committee was Daniel Rubach. The appeal committee was formed from elders from the Lackawanna Congregation, and it was chaired by Raymond Geist.

Thank you very much for your attention to these matters, and I look forward to any response you might grant me.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX

Here is their response:

SDY:SST July 18, 2000

Dear XXXXXXX:

We are acknowledging receipt of the correspondence in which you express your belief that a serious error in judgment was made by the judicial committee in disfellowshipping you and by the appeal committee in upholding that decision. After a careful review of all that pertains to this matter, we find no reason to question the decisions of the committees that dealt with your case.

You are encouraged to work toward reinstatement by producing the fruitage of repentance. (Matthew 3:8; Acts 26:20) Your diligence in this regard can strengthen you to qualify for reinstatement. Fine information in this regard appears in the Insight volumes under the headings "Repentance" and "Heart."

We urge you to have a good program of personal study of the Bible with the aid of the Society's publications and attend the meetings at the local Kingdom Hall.

Sincerely,

WTBTS

CC: Judicial Committee
    Appeal Committee

I wrote back once more, but the same response was issued. It's now been about a year and a half since I was DF'd. Nothing has changed, except that I never see my DF'd friend any more after he got married. Funny, just this week I did see him, driving on the Interstate. He must have noticed me in my work vehicle, pulled up to me, honked his horn and waved. But that was the first and only contact I've had with him since last year. I guess since my wife is a JW, and I should 'know better,' I won't be getting the yearly visit. Oh well.

• Francois
    Francois

Well, lessee, I've had two rides on the ship. The first right after I got out of college. It was because I was caught, um, engaging in a spot of heavy breathing. I was out the entire year, during which I pointed out that the dates given for the writing of first and second Corinthians wasn't a year apart. The presiding elder sniffed at my analysis and said, "You can't enlighten the society." Before the mandatory year was out, the society - in a WT article - came to the same conclusion about the mandatory year. I went back to the same elder and reminded him of our previous conversation but he was unmoved.

I went to virtually every meeting during that year, and it was hard. When my reinstatement was announced there was a lot of clapping (I was socially very popular), and back-slapping, and general bon homme.

The second time was very different. I no longer believed it was the truth, and I had a very big axe to grind with a particular elder, C.B., he was called.

I just faded away and before too long, well three years, the JC started wanting to have meetings. I let them in, but at the same time told them that as long as they tolerated C.B. as an elder in the congregation they had not the moral authority to sit in judgement of anything or anybody. And not to come back until they'd done their duty about keeping the congregation clean viz C.B. (If there was ever an elder who "skinned the sheep" it was he.) I thought they were gutless and were afraid of dealing with him and told them so.

I also pointed out to the three guys they sent over various failings of each of them; stealing electricity with an electrical meter the brother had gotten from somewhere. Gotta have electricity to clean appartments, you know. Another showed up at my house for a meeting three-quarters shit-faced on Mattingly & Moore and I called him on it. And the last was in the gutter business and he (like the apartment guy with the electric meter) was not taking out taxes on his employees (that's a pretty big cheat you know), nor was he paying ss matching funds, etc. You just can't decide you're not going to comply with Caesar's rules, you know. So the whole JC crowd they sent over didn't have clean hands, much less clean hearts.

Don't get me wrong. I had no intention of going back - ever. I just was having some perverse fun baiting these guys and doing all I could to get C.B. tossed as an elder - which in the end I did. Of course, he changed congregations to another group where he had buddies who put him in as an elder again. But, no matter, he got his comeuppance in the congregation I had attended, and everyone knew who got that started. It was the highlight of my ministry, I assure you. You could just hear the collective sigh of relief when he was removed as an elder. One of the greatest days of my life.

Anyway, that was all in 1980, and I've not heard a peep out of them since. While visiting my father once in '97, they were getting ready to go to the hall, and my father said something like, "we'd surely like to have you come with us." I looked at him like he had three heads and said, "Surely you must be kidding. Let's leave that topic right where it is and don't bring it up again." And he hasn't. I'm not only out, and intend to stay out, but I have a finely tuned hostility to the JWs and all the ammo I need to keep any one of them, or any group of them from ever wanting to take me on in debate - including the Governing Body. I mean, I'm ready to give my account for what I believe; they certainly aren't. So I guess I've been out now since about 1976 or 77, which would make it, like, 25 years. And since my run-in with that checkered group who came by my home as described above, I have had no invitations to return, nor seen a JW mouthing platitudes about how I "know" it's the truth and should come back, etc. I have been responsible for quite a few others telling the JWs to go piss up a rope and I have plans for inducing as many others to do so as possible. Man's gotta do what a mans' gotta do, ya know? The "high points of my personal ministry" are defined quite differently these days than they were in times past. The new high points are very satisfying.

Hope this helps.

Francois

• ballistic
    ballistic

Just a bit of information for your research:
    During the 1990's, the policy of never calling to visit disfellowshipped persons changed. They would still be listed as "do not calls" for the witnesses, however a meeting would be held by the body of elders once a year to discuss all of the disfellowshipped and d-a persons in their teritory.
    At this meeting, the known circumstances of each individual would be discussed and, if thought appropriate, two elders with good experience would be assigned to visit a given individual. The visit would normally take place during field service times (such as Saturday and Sunday mornings).
    In the 8 years I have been out, they have managed to find me at my new address for this special visit once.
    From what I remember, they offered a study and help with giving up smoking and made the point that the longer I stayed away, the more I would loose the truth and my wish to return. [THEY GOT THAT RIGHT]. The conversation ended when I stated that I had prayed to God earnestly for help and guidance and for God to show me where my problem was and the following week I was disfellowshipped. They didn't really know what to say to that.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

hey Cygnus,

I was very interested reading what you shared with us...and what a lame ass response from the society!! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, tho. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I attended a meeting or two at the South Cheektowaga congregation back in '89 or '90...I was in Buffalo (right outside Buf. actually) visiting relatives and actually drug my rear to a sunday meeting . Small world huh?

Dana

"...I'd walk with my people if I could find them..."

Third Eye Blind, Deep Inside of You

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

safe,

the congregation has changed much since then. Soon after I quit the JWs, my wife and her family switched to another congregation. They couldn't stand the new elders. I don't know, because we don't talk about it, but I hope it has something to do with the way they treated me.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

This all seems very strange to me. I was df'd 16 years ago, and at the time was extremely mentally confused, exhausted & near the brink of suicide. The elders in my JC meeting knew all the grim details of my situation and took it upon themselves to df me. What confuses me is they NEVER attempted to recontact me, they never gave me a shepherding call (even though I remained in the same area for 12 years). Nor did they ever offer me "help" in dealing w/the issues revolving around my df'ing. I had been molested since the age of 3 (my mother can confirm this - & did at my "meetings"). They judged me a "cancer" they wanted to wipe out from the congregation, and it wasn't because I was bad association towards others, it was because of details I knew about brothers who held positions w/in the congregation (elders children). I still have yet to hear from them, and its been 16 years. Its funny how $$ talk in our area (we were a poor family in a rich cong). I also had begged them for help at my JC meeting, but they said they couldn't help - I had to go it alone & prove myself worthy (a stab in the heart at the time because I was trying soooo hard!). I did attend meetings for 2 months afterwards, but I couldn't take the "shunning", the whispers, the stares etc. etc. anymore - nor could I face the situation at home. I moved out, began to work 2 jobs while finishing high school. I went to a different cong. from time to time, and told the elders there I needed help, and the details of my df'ing - again I was ignored. Finally decided I truly "wasn't good enough" and never went back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit