to all who were DF'd

by somebody 25 Replies latest jw friends

• somebody
    somebody

Hi folks,

I'm doing some interesting research on the procedure of reinstatement back into the org.

If anyone here can relate how many months/years passed by from the time you got df'd, till the time you got reinstated, it would be very helpful. Also include how often elders met with you, if you attended meetings regularly during the time you were df'd, and if you approached the elders for reinstatement(and how many times you approached them), or they approached you. It would be helpful to state if you're male or female too, unless you feel that you don't want that known here. There is no need to state what sin was committed or supposedly committed.

Any volunteers?

peace,
    somebody

• Englishman
    Englishman

Somebody,

Well, 18 years after my DF'ing, I was approached by an elder who asked me if I wanted to apply for reinstatement. He said that I would have to prove to a JC that I was no longer having contact with the person that I was DF'd for associating with.

I was 45 then and I asked him if he meant that what I did when I was 26 was still held against me. He said that it was.

Now I'm 55, and still ignoreed by JW's for associating with a DF'd person when I was 26!

They're bloody barmy IMO!

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• somebody
    somebody

Englishman,

wow! Thank you for the info. Now I'm curious. Did the elder approach you at your home? Or did he run into you somewhere? Was it a sheparding call to take care of the flock?

peace,
    somebody...who doesn't know what the word "blarmy" means.

• not interested
    not interested

Sombody,
    the first time i was DF'ed it took 6 months to get reinstated i was 16 i never missed a meting even the one that i got booted at. That was im 1989 now i find myself df'ed again and havent been to a meeting in about 2 years(i dont miss it ) but the other day a elder called nd left me a message asking if they could meet with me sometime, i ahvent clled them back and dont thik i will somthing interesting though is they told me when they gave me the boot that in a year i could try to get reinstated now ive never been a elder but i dont think they cn put a time limit on how long somone has to be out a guy i studied with was df'ed and reinstated within 2 months so who knows. Hope this helps with your research
    Not interested

• somebody
    somebody

not interested, ( nice name )

Thank you.

when you were reinstated after being df'd for 6 months back in 1989, did you have to approach the elders in person (or letter) to be resinstated of did they approach you to ask how you how were doing and if you wanted to be back in?

I agree that it's wrong to put a year time limit on how long it will take to be forgiven publicly/reinstated! I can say for sure that there is no scriptual backing for that practice. it must be a wbts backing practice. why am I not surprised?

thanks again and welcome to the board!

peace,
    somebody

• HalfWayThere
    HalfWayThere

I was df'ed in January 1996 at the age of 19 for commiting fornication with my fiance at the time. We both confessed before one elder who had known us both for a long time. I moved in with her that same night and despite a phone call from one of the elders on the JC (3 elders on JC, including the elder we confessed to) to try to convince us to meet with them, we refused and were announced as df'ed two weeks later (to the complete shock of the entire congregation). I let my fiance make her own desicion about meeting with them but my refusal was because I had no intention of telling them detailed accounts of what happened or of getting others into trouble who knew it had let it happen.

It didn't work out with my fiance and so I moved back home 3 months later and began attending every meetings without fail (I still believed it was the truth at that time) I applied for reinstatement about 6 months later by writing a short note to the body of elders, They met with me (same 3 elders that were on JC), telling me that I had 'used' my ex-fiance, but declined my application because I hadn't "righted my wrong", though they didn't tell me how exactly I was supposed to do that.

After a while I worked out what I had to do, so after having located my ex-fiance (not an easy task) I apologized to her for 'using' her (she was surpirsed to hear from me and didn't think I had anything to apologize for - go figure). I then reapplied for reinstatement in January 1998 and the announcement was made at the meeting the next month. The congregaton clapped when it was announced, even though they weren't supossed to (lol), and the elder that made the announcement also detailed what my restrictions were, which I had never known to be the norm (has anyone else heard of this?)

The funny thing was that after my reinstatement, my book study conductor was assigned to study key chapters of the Knowledge book with me, though nothing we studied had anything to do with what led up to me sinning in the first place (i.e. giving up on doing the right thing because I always felt bad about myself and could never measure up to the Witness I thought I had to be), nor was I asked what I needed help with. I could tell the elder was abit bothered to have to study with me and not surprisingly after a couple of months he ased if I felt that I still needed the study. I didn't want to take up any more of the guy's time so I told him I was fine.

Wow, this turned ou to be along post (lol), sorry guys :)

Owen.

• somebody
    somebody

Owen,

No apology needed for the long post. No need to "apply" to be forgiven either. Fortunately, typing out long posts is not a sin here.

Thnak you for posting your experience.

because I always felt bad about myself and could never measure up to the Witness I thought I had to be

I don't know of any JWs who don't feel like they can measure up to the rules of the "society" and make it the new world. It's so very sad that they truly believe that the rules enforced upon them by the wbts, are all God's rules. And that's what makes them constantly feel bad about themselves and unworthy of love. That's a very heavy burden for the society to make it's followers carry.

I hope all is well with you now and that you aren't still carrying a heavy burden in your heart or soul.

peace,
    somebody

• HappyHeathen
    HappyHeathen

HalfWayThere,
    Are you still attending meetings. What is your status at this time? Just curious.

• HappyHeathen
    HappyHeathen

Somebody,
    Talk about enormous pressure on JW's. Did you read the posting about being "Magazine Conscious?" Good lord! They're asking everyone to make huge pests of themselves by constantly shoving a magazine in someone's face everywhere they go. That would make you popular with your neighbors and coworkers, wouldn't it?

I have been DF'd for 25 years and have never been approached by any elder about returning. I hope they think I dropped off the face of the earth!
    HH

• HalfWayThere
    HalfWayThere

somebody,

Thankyou for those kind words. It's so true what you said about how every JW feels that they can't measure up. When I began missing meetings at the beginning of this year an elder and ms came to visit me, to try to 'encourage' me. I told them honestly how I felt, about feeling bad about myself all the time, and not being able to live up to being a Witness. The elder replied by saying: "that's a little simplistic don't you think? There must be more to it than that". The kind man (lol) must have thought I was making excuses, which I wasn't. He suggested I do some bible study to build my faith, which I did...and here I am, after doing alot more research than he had in mind . I should go back and shake his hand (lol)

HappyHeathen,

No, I'm not attending the meetings at the moment. The memorial was the last one I went to. After that I wrote my family a letter explaining to them how I felt about the society and why I wouldn't be going anymore. One of my sisters passed it on to the elders in my congregaton (I had moved congo's since I was reinstated) and they called me saying they were 'concerned' (lol) by some of the things in the letter. I refused to meet with them and told them I needed to be left alone as I had alot of things to sort out in my life. I haven't heard from them since.

But I keep thinking about going back in a small capacity, cause with everything I know now, I could have some fun lol. Plus maybe my sister who dobbed me in will start talking to me again

Owen.

(edited to fix spelling mistakes )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit