Americans dont understand the Queens english

by barry 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

I have to say....Have never heard the 'brass razoo' one :P .

• brinjen
    brinjen
    Probably not worth a brass razoo!!!

One of my personal favourites

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I think the Poms would take issue w/ you saying that Australian slang is the "Queen's English". But I could be wrong because I am not British.

I have an Aussie Slang Book because I traveled through out the Land of Oz for months on several occasions and early on I had no clue what people were saying to me. I kept the slang book because some of the phrases are hysterical. If I remember correctly it also explains where some of the phrases originated.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Don't mind if a bum a fag do you?

• brinjen
    brinjen
    Don't mind if a bum a fag do you?

No worries mate! She'll be right!

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Also, the greatest butchery of the english language has to belong to the nicest people on earth, the fair people from Newfoundland. Their dialect I dubbed the "Phantom H Language".

The letter "H" would vanish from words it was supposed to be in, then reappear in words it didn't.

An example from a newfie in my old hall:

"We be goin' 'ouse to 'ouse by arses back in the day. Hit was de honly way weese could git ahround!"

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

The stewardess did the right thing. Americans no longer speak English, but American. It was signed into law during Bush's second term. Anyone who cannot speak American is summarily waterboarded.

• 5go
    5go
    rubber is Oz slang for pencil eraser.

Seeing as the word rubber comes from the fact it rubs out pencil marks, I think everyone got it.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's correct that the English accents about one hundred miles outside London are difficult or impossible to to understand. It's only in the south east that people speak clearly and some beyond that chose to speak in standard rather than in local dialects.

• 5go
    5go
    The stewardess did the right thing. Americans no longer speak English, but American. It was signed into law during Bush's second term. Anyone who cannot speak American is summarily waterboarded.

I thought it was Texan, opps! poor guy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit