Americans dont understand the Queens english

by barry 41 Replies latest jw friends

• barry
    barry

An Australian on an American domestic flight was taken aside and questioned because of an incident.

The Australian lady requested something salty like pretzels on an American domestic flight. The stewartess thought she was swearing when she replied 'fair dinkum '.when the stewardesss said they had no pretzels.

Just saw it on the TV tonight.

Come to think of it havent herd the queen saying fair dinkum lately.

• brinjen
    brinjen

It booggles boggles your mind when you wonder what the american thought it meant....

Oops, made a spelling error. Anyone got a rubber I can borrow?

• barry
    barry

I think you could say 'fair dinkum' in front of a baptist boys or girls choir and none would be offended.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Sounds like she's straining the 'Strine a bit much. I'm not surprised it raised eyebrows on an American domestic flight. But like Brinjenny, I can't fathom what the flight attendant thought she might have said?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I have no idea what the flight attendendant might have thought she said. Maybe barry will clarify the bit, a bit.

*Goes off to practice his 'queens english:"*

alt

• barry
    barry

fair dinkum = Is that really true, youre not haveing me on about this.

• BFD
    BFD

I have been called a queen in the past and I have no idea what that means. lol

BFD

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Oops, made a spelling error. Anyone got a rubber I can borrow

hahahah now that I do understand.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Spoken as a question, it means what Barry says. As a statement, it means "Absolute truth; I wouldn't tell you no lies!"

Example:

"Fair dinkum??"

"Fair dinkum!"

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

Many of the "Queens english" sayings is no longer in use. If you travel 200Km North of London, you can hardly understand the English! In SA the English is still failrly close to that spoken in the UK. But terms like fair dinkum is not heard.

However, when you ask someone to do something, an affirmative reply could be 'Shot, buddy'. No one ever gets shot, it just means yes, Ok I will do that.

There are many more examples, which I cannot think of right away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit