THE ENEMIES OF REASON;RICHARD DAWKINS ON CHANNEL 4 TONIGHT

by badboy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

Surely religion even Christian religion does not have a pleasant history and was often behind wars and all sorts of crimes but still the Christian religion or faith itself is beyond reproach. It's a case of the followers not practicing what they supposedly believe.

Dawkins simply puts all world religions together in the same bad category and can't see that Christianity itself is a force for the good precisely because it seeks to control the animal drives in man which Dawkins considers natural since to him as to all evolutionists man is just another animal that origianted from lower animals and has nothing inherently spiritual in his nature.

An example of the evolutionist champion's anti religious mentality is found here:

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=48252

Evolution is surely described as a theory but in practice is talked about as if it were a fact. The two don't square up.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

greendawn,

Once again, you reveal you don't understand what you're talking about because you misunderstand the most basic concept of what a scientific theory is.

It is the best explanation of the facts. Evolution is a fact. Natural selection is the best explanation of how evolution works. We are constantly learning more and more about evolution, and thus constantly refining the theory. That's what science does. It constantly self-corrects and improves itself.

In science, there is electronic theory, nucler theory, evolutionary theory - which are simply the best explanations of the facts we know. Those explanations are constantly being improved.

S4

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    Dawkins simply puts all world religions together in the same bad category and can't see that Christianity itself is a force for the good precisely because it seeks to control the animal drives in man which Dawkins considers natural since to him as to all evolutionists man is just another animal that origianted from lower animals and has nothing inherently spiritual in his nature.

Fallacy #1: People who suscribe to the theory of evolution dismiss and deny any form of spirituality. You obviously have not read Dawkins then, and yet you presume to know where he stands.

Fallacy #2: They encourage or tolerate the displays of allegedly animal/savage(read amoral if you're Christian) instincts of humans. That is tantamount to saying that all evolutionists agree on sexual expression, on warfare, violence and agression, on exploitative capitalism, etc. What rubbish! There is no such conspiratorial consensus among them.

Christian religion or faith itself is beyond reproach. It's a case of the followers not practicing what they supposedly believe.

What ever happened to "the sword of God's Word is like a two-edged sword, able to pierce one's thoughts and emotions"?? If religious teachings cannot compel the MAJORITY of its followers to do good to others, is that not a damning humiliation of the "power" of the Word of God? How convenient to blame sinful human nature (again a Judeo-Christian construct) to save the credibility of Christianity.

INQ

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I wish we got that show here in the U.S.

I am interested in how a lot of pseudo-science and astrology stuff is based on myth just as much as religion.

When will we get that kind of programming over here?

-ithinkisee

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

I was religious once, and I can be somewhat sympathetic to the idea that theists won't always enjoy being dressed down by people like Dawkins. But as others have said, Dawkins just doesn't seem all that fanatical to me. He is passionate, but that's not the same thing.

It's one thing when people don't agree. It's another thing when they never seem to be quite hearing you or understanding you no matter how hard you try. It's as if we're speaking a very different language that sounds the same but the words sometimes mean something entirely different. That can be especially frustrating when the cameras are on and your standing on a podium in front of several thousand people who totally hate your guts. I can't blame him when he gets frustrated and lets it show. People even react this way about his books. Yet many of those people haven't even read them.

Dawkins may be passionate, but he's hardly a fanatic in my opinion.

IsaacJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit