Handmade anniversary jewelry

by BrentR 19 Replies latest social family

• BrentR
    BrentR

Today is our 17th wedding anniversary and I made my wife a mokume* pendant and ring. The pendant is pure copper and silver with a sterling rope chain. The ring is five quarters with nickel silver powder sandwiched between each one. The quarters were welded in a graphite crucible that I machined out. Between each quarter is layered the nickel silver powder. After getting it up to near melting I used the end of a 1" steel rod to tap the stack down and then re-heat.

I made the box out of cherry and red oak laminates and brass hardware. It's lined with purple velvet. The bed is a foam rubber pillow wrapped in velvet.

I hope she likes it since I have over twenty hours into it.

alt

alt

* Mokume (mo-cue-may) is an ancient Japanese art of fusing two or more dis-similar metals together in layers. The layers are then worked to create a variety of paterns or shapes. Sometimes an acid etch will make the metals have more contrast with each other.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

It is beautiful! I hope she loves it! Happy Anniversary!!!!

• journey-on
    journey-on

OMG! How could she not like it. That is so beautiful and anything made with your own hands and heart just adds to the beauty. Congrats on your anniversary.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Gorgeous

So very thoughtful and I love the purple liner

I am almost teary

Thank you so much for sharing

purps

• BrentR
    BrentR

Thanks! I would have been so much easier just to go out and buy it but I need to keep challenging myself. After the silver and copper start to patina (oxidize) there will be more contrast. So it will look more brilliant in a few weeks.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

wow...
    That's beautiful brent and incredibly thoughtful.
    I don't think there's any way she won't absolutely love it!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

WOW!..That is sooooo cool!.....YOUR GONNA GET LUCKY TONIGHT!!..Love Eyed 3..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• greendawn
    greendawn

It looks beautiful it's a great gift for a wedding anniversary especially because it is hand made.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

nOW THAT'S love

• BrentR
    BrentR

Thanks!

Mokume has not found it's way into most jewelry stores, at least around here, so it makes it a bit unique. A friend of mine is a custom jeweler and she is just starting to get interested in making some. I will be giving her metal lathe lessons real soon. She wants to make fancy goblets and I want to learn some more jewelry making techniques from her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit