How many have gone back to college after leaving the Borg?

by JK666 38 Replies latest jw friends

• penny2
    penny2

Wow, winnie - that's fantastic! With the shortage of qualified medical staff in Australia, you'll be assured of work for as long as you want it!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

In my family: 6 to college & 1 to technical school.

Skeeter

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

And of those that went to college, some are still active Witlesses!!! Rebels.

Skeeter

• Scully
    Scully

I went back to college to get my nursing diploma in the 90s. One of my better decisions.

Next step is to get my bachelor's degree, and then on to a masters. At the rate I'm going, I'll be in my 50s when I'm done, but it will totally be worth it.

• Forscher
    Forscher

I went while still in. As somebody else observed, "sometimes you have to buck the trend." I earned an AA and a BS. I've been accepted to an MS program but the financing is problematic at the moment.

Forscher

• educ8self
    educ8self

I signed on today hoping to find a thread similar to this to address education. It occurs to me that although the vocational training might be one that requires a degree and pays a lot better, as the case may be, it still maintains the same focus that JWs promote so that you don't develop a different world view in the process. I tend to see the purpose of education as broader than that. Rather than solely for the purpose of intellectually cultivating yourself as a servo-mechanism for the machine, (that is, just to do a job) education can serve that purpose as part of it's function but more importantly cultivate your mind and your self as a human being.

I for one went to college immediately after I walked away, it wasn't a related decision and eventually I dropped out - there just didn't seem to be a specific direction I wanted to go in. Looking back now I see I am too much of a generalist and am taking the initiative to educate myself about different things for a coherent understanding of the world. (there's that nice thing called the library) At some point I may go back for a degree, but I have to say the value and nature of getting an actual education is far more important to me than the credential. Not only do people with that level of perspective see through "the truth about The Truth," (incidentally I came across a book with that title) the fact that they do so show both growth as well as a better understanding of the world and possibly their place in it. Frankly I think that's when you really start living and participating in life. Rather than learning about existing roles you might fit into and choosing one, you may just contribute something unique. Now THAT is something the JW's would never get behind, after all why participate in this old system of things when you can live a hedonistic life in paradise? Just do your job as a publisher and buy your ticket.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I did and last year got my Bachelors of Science in Business Admin. It feels alright. I guess the best part about it was actually learning. I miss classes. I want to go back.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

Hey Skully, pm exwitless if you want.

She is working on doing just kinda what you said and might have some good info for you.

She is going LPN to Bach. RN and then maybe Nurse Practitionor if it seems right.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

I started college while I was still IN the borg. Hmmm, that didn't go over too well, lol.

I've graduated from nursing school (PN), with a whole bunch of "extra" liberal arts credits (couldn't decide what I wanted to be when I grew up). I plan to go back in a few years and get a degree in creative writing or journalism (haven't decided which yet).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit