Adam & Eve question...

by tan 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

Adam and Eve were immortal as long as they had access to the tree of life... the bible never says they were made immortal. this the story makes clear in several ways, even in the book of revelations showing that the tree of life is brought back to human reach.

the seperant said they would not die [from eating of the tree of knowledge] which turned out to be true. God said they would [which turned out to be incomplete].

the story reads like- ok if you eat this you will die... you eat it and say, hey, I am still alive and then I shoot you in the head.

see I told you, you would die.

the meaning of the tree of knowledge of good and evil is not as clear...

first you have to think, how do you know what is good vs evil?

its not immediately apparent.. but it is always in reference to an ideal.

most of us have an ideal buried within us and we feel things are good or evil without anyone telling us... it is THIS ideal that the tree of knowledge was meant to block... God was in essance telling them, I am the ONLY one to tell you where to draw the line between good and evil not what you FEEL.

if you reject my line and draw your own you will be seperated [killed metaphorically] from me. [which in this case is likely not the real god, but the authors of the story who wanted power to reside in their government not in the hands of the mob.]

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

She sounds like a free thinker. Have you considered shunning her?

• Terry
    Terry
    Adam and Eve were immortal as long as they had access to the tree of life...

Demonstrably untrue.

What does the word IMMORTAL mean of not UNDYING?

You are not considering the fact that Adam and Eve were CONTINGENT beings; not IMMORTAL at all.

Humans are contingent creatures.

There is an IF/THEN aspect to continued existence.

With IMMORTALS there is no contingent aspect or IF/THEN involved.

It is logically the failure to understand the difference bewteen potential and actual once again.

• Terry
    Terry
    She sounds like a free thinker. Have you considered shunning her

Wow!

Exactly.

Instead of filling an intelligent child's mind with nonsense, why not tell her the Truth?

Teach her HOW to exercise clear thinking.

Step one is not automatically accepting something as true without examining it for facts, data, proof and falsifiability.

Wouldn't you rather she know the difference between a widely accepted fable and reality?

Teaching children lies and passing them off as truth is nothing short of Child Abuse.

That sounds very strong doesn't it?

I MEANT IT to be.

Why do you think kids grow into teenhood rejecting church, morality and social norms?

It is because they realize they've been lied to and end up throwing the baby out with the bathwater because they are DISGUSTED WITH LYING AUTHORITY.

If you can't trust your parents, society, the church or God....who can you trust? That is how they look at it. It is UNNECESSARY for them to see it this way. They need to see that many people aren't smart enough or equipped with the mental tools required to separate falsehood from reality. Authority spreads falsehood thinking it is "good for you". Where truth ends and the lie begins is what a child has to be able to see on their own.

There is only one chance to prepare your child for adulthood with a mind that can think clearly and skeptically with a view to examining good/better/best and what is counterfeit, bogus and untrue.

Please consider this.

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

Adam and Eve were NOT immortal. Nowhere is that mentioned in the Bible. Paul said that Jesus was the first being given immortality. Other than God Himself, no other being is mentioned as being immortal. Jesus was GIVEN immortality and so will those who go to heaven. But not even angels are said to be immortal.

Justahuman - but super nonetheless

• wherehasmyhairgone
    wherehasmyhairgone

The funny about Adman an eve is this:

Its Gods fault they sinned.

They hadn't eaten from the tree of knowledge of Good and bad, Hence if they didn't know good from bad, How did they know not listening to God commandment was bad?

Then when they didn't do what Jehovah commandant them, God blames Satan and them!...what the hell.

It like the head of air traffic control putting a child in the cockpit of an airplane to fly it, without givien it any 'knowledge of how to fly or what not to do' then the child crashes the plane, then blames the child for the mistake. Isn't the controller at fault here.

Interestingly they never got chance to eat from the tree of life, so that would indicate that they did not have the ability to live forever until they did.

regards

steve

• patio34
    patio34

Parsing a myth . . .

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The Genesis account never says that Adam and Eve were perfect, and the intent of the original
    story does seem to be along the lines of everything the serpent said coming true. YHWH, or
    whichever God they ascribe the account to, was a jealous creator. Maybe the point was to be
    content with what the jealous God gives you, don't be asking for more as you will get him upset.

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming
    Adam and Eve were immortal as long as they had access to the tree of life...

Demonstrably untrue.

you obviously did not read a word I wrote....or you cannot read proper english.

how could you conclude the exact opposite of what I said if you read it?

• coaster
    coaster

perfectly stupid. why did they not hi-tail it over to the tree of life for a quick snack????????????

coaster

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit