Would you have been born if your parents were NOT J-dubs?

by Highlander 17 Replies latest jw friends

• chappy
    chappy

I wonder how many rugrats exist only because of the WT restriction on oral sex?

chappy

• Gopher
    Gopher

I assert every birth is a result of a series of remarkably coincidental events.

Both my parents were dubs. But if mom hadn't moved to the Twin Cities, my parents may have never met.

Both my grandmothers were dubs.

My paternal grandmother moved here from Norway when she was young, and moved to central Minnesota, and then later met her first husband for a brief marriage. This string events led to the birth of my dad, an only child.

If my maternal grandmother had waited past 20 to get married, my mom might never have been born. Grandmother rushed out early in life to escape an abusive home situation.

And on and on the unique events went, leading to my being born in the Twin Cities in 1960.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

When I was six, my mom told me she cried when she found out she was pregnant with me and wanted to have an abortion, but she was studying with JW's at the time and they talked her out of it. So, I pretty much owe my existence to JW''s which seems fair since I devoted the first 40 years of my life to them (give or take a few when df'd). I figure it all evens out in the cosmos somehow.

Ironic isn't it?

Cog

ps: My mom needs to work on her bedtime story skills, ya think?

• caligirl
    caligirl

Yes. My parents became witnesses after I was born.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

If you consider that the egg from which you grew already existed, then whether or not that particular egg which grew into you actually did so depends more on whether or not that egg was fertilized when the opportunity came. Each egg only has a narrow window of time to be fertilized. So, whether YOU were born, or not, depends more on WHEN your mother was with a man, and not so much WHO that man was. If a different man had fertilized the egg which grew into you, you would perhaps have different characteristics, or not, depending on how much you take after your mother rather than your father. However, the resulting person would still have come from the same egg, regardless of who performed the fertilization, and therefore would still have been "you".

• DJK
    DJK

Yes, my father became a witness after I was born.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Yes. I was born out of wedlock long before my parents were poisoned by the wt bug.

My brothers however....that's another story.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

No, I wouldn't have been born. My mother was a pioneer who moved to a different State (in the USA) where she met my father. They got married in '66 and I was born in '68.

As an aside to gaiagirl's comment, it could very well be that the same egg that I came from could have been fertilized by an X chromosome bearing sperm instead of a Y chromosome sperm, in which case the individual born would have been a female. Also, the possibility existed that the fertilized egg which produced me could have split completely in two, in which case I would have been one of two identical twins. Only I would have been me, though my genetically identical brother would have looked like me. And yet another possibility is that a different Y chromosome sperm than the one that produced me could have fertilized the egg and a male child could have been born with *some* of my genetic traits but not others. Who knows but that *that* me would have left the Borg long ago or would still be in it. Still, he wouldn't have been *me* for our lives can change directions based on very small decisions that we make.

Dave (I am self aware, therefore I am.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit