How Did Recieving "New Light" Drive You Crazy and Leave the Witnesses?

by flipper 11 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Ah yes! The alledged "new light" ! Having been raised in the witnesses, it never ceased to amaze me how the governing body would take a dogmatic, staunch view of certain things one year, and then turn totally around and totally change their views of certain issues the next year. It used to drive me crazy because I'm a creature of habit and being inquisitive, I'd always question things.

For example, you guys all know these but I'll list a few. The view of higher education was always looked down on " dangerous worldy thinking" they called it. Then they changed the view," well, if you use your education to further kingdom interests it can be a good thing ". Now this year they have gone hard line against it. Also oral sex was looked at as a dfing offense from 1972 to 1977 then they changed calling it a personal decision, which it always was anyway. Also the view of not allowing people to get psychiatric help because of recieving"non biblical" counsel. Then that changed, became a concsience decision. I could go on and on, but I got sick of their waffling on things and constant changing.

Personally all this changing was one reason I got out of the witnesses. Felt they didn't know what they were doing , or couldn't trust them at all. I feel they did all this changing just to control people and keep people constantly changing their views so they would pay attention to what the org. was always coming up with to control it's members without them feeling like they were being controlled. The gb put a label on it and called it "new light". Sick. How did all this changing and "new light" junk affect you folks? Did it gradually help you to see the real "new light" of getting out of the cult? I remember asking elders about the borgs view of oral sex in 1997, and got 2 different responses, even after it had been settled. So I made my own decisions. Please share how this affected you. welcome all responses of the "I Won't Get Fooled Again Class".

• minimus
    minimus

I saw a website that used to make fun of "new light". It showed all the flip-flops in positions and renamed it "blinking light".......It's like this....either the FDS speaks for Jehovah God or it doesn't. If the Almighty keeps changing His position, well, then, I think you get the picture.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Since they were changing their doctrinal opinions like their underwear they obviously couldn't be trusted, the whole new light doctrine is meant to enable them to bury their mistakes and hide their crude incompetence which makes them incapable of correctly interpreting the Bible.

The new light concept ridiculous though it may be it managed to persuade the JW drones and save their credibility among them so they can carry on controlling and deceiving them.

These could have been written off as comical ineptness that often drive them to ridicule, had it not been for the fact that some of their misinterpretations caused thousands of deaths among their members.

• garybuss
    garybuss

New light didn't really bother me. Outright lying bothered me. Basically I quit the group because of one main reason and for three sub reasons. The main reason I left was they forced me to leave. The sub reasons are:

1. It wasn't fun being a Witnesses. I didn't enjoy it.

2. There was error built upon error built upon guesses.

3. Way too many of the Witness people disrespected me and people important to me.

The sub reasons are also why I didn't ever become active again after I walked away in 1974.

• Hermano
    Hermano

As a witness I fell for it hook, line and sinker. I loved new light. It showed that the organization was progressive and was always looking for ways to improve and get a refined understanding of the truth.

It wasn't until I read Crisis of Conscience that I realized how new light really came about, and the crap that could have been sold to us as new light (sputnik launch linked to generation that will never pass).

Then, when I discovered the flip flops, I realized new light was just clever marketing to get us to go along with whatever new policy had been voted by the 2/3 majority.

• ImFreeNow
    ImFreeNow

I had the priviledge or curse of giving the part on the District Convention regarding new light on "the generation" in the 90's. it didn't feel right then and felt worse later after my annointed grandmother ask me how this could be so? What I had been taught from a infancy, and my grandmother had learned and loved since the 30's in one form or another was now being changed. It took years, but that was the straw that broke the camels back with me.(it still took many years to actually reconcile these things with others and leave)

New light, new light, new light orrrrrrrr failed prophecy, failed prophecy, failed Watchtower prophecy. It became very evident and caused my departure. Since I left I have really felt "new light" & new vision for my future for the first time and haven't looked back. There is no one that was more ingrained in the culture then me........but leaving that culture of JW new light (or lies) is what saved me!!!

• chappy
    chappy

The last straw for me was the statement in the 1970's Watchtower about no independent thinking. Although I had had plenty of doubts for years, that one article was like getting hit in the head with a ton-o-bricks!

chappy

• Irish Rose
    Irish Rose

What did it for me, when I got fed up with it was this.

My mother, a very devout JW, had went to the DC before me and she had told me some information. Totally shocked I asked a friend if she had heard the same thing, and she had. And this is what what was said, they were talking about JWs who married a non JW.

If a JW married some one who was not a witness and when Armageddon comes, that witness will die at Armagedon no matter if the wedding took place over 20 years ago, and the person who was not a JW is now. It does not matter if their mate became an elder, a minsteral servant, or even a pioneer. That witness who married at non JW will die at Armageddon because they were not faithful to Jehovah at one point in their life time. There is no forgiveness in Jehovah for that.

I hope that made since. But when I was told that, I knew that was a whole lot of Bull $#it. That was when I decided enough was enough and I did a whole lot of research. I've been out since 2001, and never looked back.

• Mum
    Mum

The fading of the light about 1975 did it for me. Now I'm old, but this is better than living in the JWbot "paradise."

Why did I wait until 1979 to get out?

SandraC

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

When I realized that flip-flops weren't just summer footwear, I took a hike.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit