Why don't Witnesses indentify themselves at the door when in service?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

My 17 year old daughter told me 2 men were at the door Saturday looking for adults that lived in the house.My wife and I were out of town for 2 days.They had suits on and carrying book bags. They asked if she was over 18. She replied that she wasn't. They left without indentifiying themselves. It bothered me that they didn't say why they were at the door and what their purpose was as for the visit.

The last time I was out in service I was a teen and I always indentified myself as a Jehovah's Witness. What are the new rules that the WTS has instructed for the indentification of it's members at householders doors?

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

they were probably ashamed, I'm sure they'd rather be selling Avon or something

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

are they not allowed to talk to someone under 18?

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    they were probably ashamed, I'm sure they'd rather be selling Avon or something

LMAO!

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

People in my parents congo did the same thing. When they would go door to door they wouldn't identify themselves and if someone who didn't look like an adult answered they asked if their parents or the adult of the house was home.

• flipper
    flipper

When I was a witness, years ago, we were instructed to ask any minor if their parents allowed them to choose their own reading material. If the answer was positive you would offer the magazines, if it was negative, you'd tell the minor we'll call back later when your parents are home. Also, I remember at one service meeting being instructed to not say you were one of Jehovah's Witnesses in your sermon so you'd be more prone to get a hearing ear. Then once they'd show interest, later drop it on them. Shows you how sneaky that cult was

• greendawn
    greendawn

They probably think like that, they have a better chance of not closing the minds of their listeners many of whom are prejudiced against the JWs and rightly so when they hear about issues such as deaths from the blood transfusion ban and the cruel shunning policy. In the general perception of the public the JWs are a weird cult.

Not because of satanic influences that want to harm the JW image but because of their insane actions that would degrade the image of anyone doing them.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I came into the truth from someone that came to my door.

We had a great discussion and I agreed to to a bible study

As she was leaving, I asked her what religion she was.

purps

• parakeet
    parakeet

The cong rules at the time I was a JW (almost 30 years ago) were that we should never offer publications to minor children.

I always started my spiel with "good morning, my name is parakeet (first name only), and I'm in your neighborhood today to blah, blah, blah."

I would give my full name only when asked. I always felt ashamed bothering people early in the morning and felt resentment at being forced to do it (I was in my teens at the time). I suspect that's the motivation behind many JWs' anonymity in field service.

• Guest39
    Guest39

If it was two MEN, might they have been Mormons?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit