For the men:

by changeling 74 Replies latest jw friends

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Yep. About a year ago I grew a beard for a month. Salt and Pepper. Funny, really, because I don't have any whites or grays on the top of my head, although I'm thinning up top. I'm trying rogaine for that. But I haven't had a haircut for well over a year now. I'm going for terminal length, which I hope will be mid to lower back. The only facial hair I leave on is a mustache, which I shave off entirely sometimes.

Dave

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{becca}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Better bring the new avatar over too, eh?

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

LDB - You really did the laser thing?

I have no problem with that - but a ton of curiousity about it.

Jeff

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

becca, i do that on purpose. i have a shirt that says cereal killer, and has a few iconic characters looking like axe wielding psychos. sorry, but, this was intentional.

• becca1
    becca1

Better yet darlin!

• becca1
    becca1

Becca was eaten by werewolves a long time ago. She'll go back in the closet/coffin as soon as changeling gets posting privledges back.

• DJK
    DJK

I grew a beard for a few years long after leaving. Had nothing to do with them. I have a thin face and I dont like it looking thin. It was gray with brown patches, didn't look all that great. After 911 the company I work for wanted to do new picture Id's. They had to be without beards and hats. So I shaved it. I could grow it back but now we make a food product and I would have to wear facial covering. Just too hot where I work, so skip the beard.

Tonight my wife bot me a t-shirt that says; 'Ask me why I am no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses!'

That's funny AK. I just had a t-shirt I designed arrive. It says "EX JEHOVAHS WITNESS:CULT SURVIVOR" with a red teardrop, a unicorn and the JWD website. My avatar appears on the front.

• becca1
    becca1

By the way I love all you fuzzy faced guys!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I grew a beard for the first time about 7 years before I left the witnesses. I really hated that particular psuedo-doctrine for as long as I can remember. The elders immediately put pressure on me to get rid of it, and I capitulated. Actually, I started shaving it down to a goatee, and decided it didn't look good or I'd gone to far, so I shaved it off. I was resentful for the next couple of years until I grew another.

Interestingly, when I shaved that beard, I left a "soul patch"; for whatever reason, the soul patch seemed completely acceptable to the congregation and elders, and I got complements on it (although I wasn't an MS or elder, and wasn't really very close to being one). I think this shows how ridiculous and legalistic the witness objection to beards is: when I grew my soul patch (and also when I first shaved my head), it was well received; but in truth, the soul patch and the bald head where at the time far less common than beards in the general population of men in my area.

After a couple of years, I regrew the goatee and kept it for the last 5 years of my witness career. The general population of witnesses liked it, but I took a beating from the elders every day of those 5 years. Actually, even many of the elders would cop to liking the beard, but they would not stand up to the status quo on it, so I was treated like a black-sheep. As I told a couple of elders: "you give me less privileges in the congregation than you would a child molester"... and this was before I knew of any widespread child abuse problem in the org.

lol, early on, I remember thinking, "everybody sees the silliness of this unwritten beard doctrine. Hey, I'll just take the lead, and they'll all follow along, glad that someone had the balls to be the first to grow one". Guess I was just a tad naive.

• DJK
    DJK

LBD, I cant tell if that's a chin or a scrotum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit