Kingdom Melodies - What were we singing

by Amber Rose 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

Does anyone remember the one song that has the line, "Let god be true though every man a liar proves to be."? I always felt uncomfortable singing this. Every man is a liar? Not very upbuilding, if you know what I mean. I also don't think kids should be taught this in church. Any thoughts?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I do not remember the name of that piece of sxxx. I do believe, however, that the above mentioned line is full of it. Not all men are liars, especially outside the Watchtower Society. Some are more honest than that. There are worldly people, including those who belong to other churches, that are quite strict against dishonesty and will not volitionally lie.

There are other maladies I felt uncomfortable singing, especially that piece of sxxx about being joyful and happy for the Kingdumb. I also felt uncomfortable with that song about living forever being worth all endeavor, especially knowing that it would be a non-satisfying life full of nothing but men, stagnation, and following orders from others. The one that I hated worst was song #18 in the current book: the one about blessing the "Christian" Brotherhood. There is no way in hell that I could qualify that piece of sxxx as music.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

A couple of months ago, there was a topic similar to this one. And I don't remember who it was, but they put the little tune of....Move ahead, move ahead in my brain and as soon as I read this post it immediatly came back

24 years out and I still remember that crap!

nj

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

AmberRose,

the name of the kingdom melody is Let God Be Found True - song 170 and the correct wording of the line is: "He’ll true be found, though every man A liar proves to be".

Justahuman - but super nonetheless

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

AmberRose,

the name of the kingdom melody is Let God Be Found True - song 170 and the correct wording of the line is: "He’ll true be found, though every man A liar proves to be".

Justahuman - but super nonetheless

• Gopher
    Gopher

These are propaganda songs of indoctrination. The thoughts of the organization, set to music.

Although if they're saying "every man is found a liar", that applies with equal force to the organization's leadership. When they lie they call it theocratic warfare.

• lawrence
    lawrence

We were singing brain washing songs, they really should have been named:

Jehovah will kick your ass

We are the best, screw all the rest

We'll have a fortress when you burn

The Shulamite maiden lives in New York

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Isn't that line in the Bible?

Maybe the Bible is messed up?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

213, "Working Together in Unity," is one I can't sing all the way through. It's too disturbing. Think about one of those fantastic verses:

1. We must act together as one. Independence, wisely we shun. Harmony and one-ness of mind Bring peace of rarest kind. Unity brings blessings, This we'll surely find. If with talents we are endowed, There's no reason e'er to be proud. Modestly, with genuine love, Let's praise our God above.

So in that first verse, in one fell stroke they condition people to be depressed robots. Even when under full dub-spell, I had a problem with this song. I had a talent for playing an instrument. I knew I wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination, but you know what? Being a musician in that sort of world is self-regulating. Players who are arrogant are usually snubbed by their peers, unless they're arrogant and quite well talented. In any case, you should be proud of what talents you have. The difference here, the key difference, is that arrogance and smugness only comes with eccentricity and years of experience. If you suck and you're arrogant, you'll be lambasted.

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose
    These are propaganda songs of indoctrination.

That is exactly right. These songs were said to be part of our sacred worship of Jehovah, and very seroius. Now that I think about the words I had been saying, I shudder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit