may need some help soon

by Missanna 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• Missanna
    Missanna

ok so i send my father a letter telling him several reasons i do not believe the witnesses are Jehovah's organization.i also told my father at the end of the letter that i was setting some boundaries once and for all. that i would not be emotionally blackmailed or verbally abused anymore that if he wanted to talk to me as a father then i welcome that and if he can't do that then i do not wish to comunicate with him. I sent it about a week ago and was waiting for all hell to break loose but nothing happend. so i don't hear from anyone in my family which surprised me because they are all so nosey and judgemental, they seem to not be able to help themselves sometimes. So i thought hmmm maybe they are going to just let it go... yeah right... until i get an e-mail from my sister tonight... i feel like this is the beginning of something huge... here is her e-mail

Anna,

I was just curious as to why you don't believe Jehovah is using the organization. It is very clear to me that he is and i don't see how anyone could think otherwise. I don't want any links to info or anything like that. I want to know what you personally think. I love you and don't take this as an attack. I'm just wanting to talk.

Becky

SO i reply...

Becky,

Obviously, you heard about the letter i sent to dad. I told you before that if you have any questions to please come to me personally so i do not take what you said as an attack. I am questioning though, if you are really willing to listen to what i have to say. Before i tell you why I don't believe that the witnesses are Jehovah's organization, I am curious as to why you do believe that it's God's organization. Without using the societies literature I really would like to know why you do believe. I don't want any articles from the watchtower or anything like that I truly want to know why you personally believe.

Love always,

Anna

so i may need some help when this little disscussion gets going. I'll keep you posted.

• orbison11
    orbison11

oh my goodness, just gotta say you did a tremendous job in throwing the ball into her court,,i never would have thought of that

i cant use support, nor can you.....

hope it goes well

wendy

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Way to go! WEW! good job! I think you know how to handle yourself very well!

God's Organization! hmm that a deep topic but you go girl!

You got my help! I'll be watching for your post.

I so proud of you! What a really good job!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Great response! You are a very clever young woman. Since she is making the claim that Jehovah is using the organization you put the onus on to her to prove her claim instead of on you to disprove it. Great strategy. Also, you asked her to use the exact criteria as she requested you to use, no outside source material. All said with calmness and respectful attitude. Many people can learn from your mature and intelligent way of handling your family Misanna. You are assertive without being aggressive.

Cog

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I don't want any links to info or anything like that.

Ahhhhh, the old "I want an answer that I agree with, and not something that makes sense to the rest of the world" wt answer.

How typical.

Good luck with this.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am sure some great JWD minds will be glad to help.

Her forcing you to think for yourself with this line: "I don't want any links to info or
    anything like that. I want to know what you personally think." will backfire as you
    already countered it with "I am curious as to why you do believe that it's God's
    organization. Without using the societies literature I really would like to know why
    you do believe." Good job, Missanna.

You could get an immediate download of CAPTIVES OF A CONCEPT from
    lulu.com for $5 and bone up on ways to prove to yourself that it's not God's
    organization. Essentially, it examines what Jesus would have seen in 1919 when
    he supposedly examined the organization. Nothing taught then is acceptable today.
    They had it wrong, so how could they have been the only ones teaching truth?
    They thought Jesus came (invisibly) in 1874 and the last days started in 1799. They
    accepted the cross and Christmas, birthdays, and the Great Pyramid was God's
    Witness.

I could go on, but it focuses on how the WTS teachings since then were not part of
    the record that Jesus would have examined. We must look at the things the WTS
    says are the reasons Jesus picked them as his FDS, and the WTS teachings were
    abandoned, and just as wrong as those of Christendom. You follow through with
    faulty math leading to 1914- 607 BCE is off by twenty years, therefore the Seven times
    is off. It is merely the date picked by CTR from the Pyramid, then all the math had to
    prove it. Mention how they used to say 606 because they forgot the year ZERO didn't
    exist. Finish off with 1925, 1975, this generation, and before the twentieth century
    is finished.

I know I oversimplified this for you, but you have to gather opinions and research and
    get deep on your own. You probably will never get past saying "What Jesus saw and
    used to judge the Society in 1919..." but you might.

We know that WTS says they were the ones with the 1. right teachings, 2. teachings
    at the right time for their releasing
    , 3. teachings revealed to them in His Word, and they
    were 4. rejecting Human Wisdom. Every one of those can be shot down.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

How you answer will depend on what you honestly believe. I was asked similiar kinds of questions by my father (an elder and PO). Since I no longer believe in the Bible or even God, I had no desire to argue the "truth" of JW's from a biblical or theological perspective. One can argue theology and interpretations endlessly and make no progress as any of us ex-pioneers who have got in our time by arguing with other fundamentalists in the ministry can attest to.

My approach, as suggested to me by my counselor, which I found to be very effective, was to stay away from debates and arguments as much as possible. It is very difficult to prove one is right or some one else is wrong when you are debating in the realm of beliefs and faith. I simply stated my assertion that I saw no evidence to believe that JW's are Jehovah's organization, the Bible is the word of God, or that God even exists. When they then proceeded to lay out the usual JW lines of evidence and reasoning (as if I hadn't heard it all before and used it on other people at the doors myself), I simply stated my belief that the evidence was neither logical or convincing to me. I was not arguing the "truth" of it, but simply stating what was true for me, ie disbelief. It is very hard to keep up an argument with someone who does not try to prove you wrong but simply says they do not believe your evidence or find it convincing. My stepmother, at one point, said to me "prove to me that Jehovah doesn't exist!" I asked her why I would want to do that? If she is happy believing in Jehovah and living her life as a JW that is fine with me. I have no desire to convert her to my way of thinking. (This also throws them off a bit because they expect all "apostates" to be dogmatically trying to work against them and the organization.)

As you did above, throw the ball in their court and let them prove to you it is God's organization. You do not need to be claiming an absolute truth. You are just stating your belief. Repeat like a broken record as needed.

Please give us the details of her response. Very interested to hear how it turns out.

Cog

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Hi Misanna

I just want well done girl... you are braver than I am... I have been so tempted to send my family a letter of that nature, but as you will see my the thread that I started, I have pretty much adopted a "dont ask dont tell" attitude with my family!

IS your sisters' reaction just not so typical of that of a JW... they are so unwilling to accept or even look at anything that questions their beliefs just in case it taints them in someway... surely if they were really the "Truth", they would not be so afraid that reading anything or listening to anyone that disagrees with them would result in followers losing their faith so readily?

Good Luck!

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Your reply was perfect! She'll find it much harder than she thinks to find scriptural support without the Society to take scriptures out of context and infer things that aren't meant!

• blondie
    blondie

Hi Missanna. There will be so much info that maybe you could tailor it to whatever your sister has done or said in the past that shows that on that basis she demonstrated she did not accept the authority of the WTS. Some counsel she ignored, direct or indirect; choice she made; concern she expressed about how something was handled in the congregation, etc. Some people are not interested in doctrinal flaws but are interested in how people are treated at the KH.

You have a good start with making her prove her beliefs to you without throwing a publication in your face.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit