Do you get joy out of doing your own yard work?

by restrangled 26 Replies latest jw friends

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

I totally enjoy doing my own yard work! The scent of fresh cut grass is lovely, the pleasure of gardening puts me in a peaceful tranquil state. Its lovely!

LTF

• DJK
    DJK

I mowed my lawn today. Chocolate rain came to mind a couple times.

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

I usually don't mind it too much, except when it's really hot (it's 100 here in South Alabama today).

• restrangled
    restrangled

Blondie, Because my husband works 7 days a week, I have assumed yard duty, which is good exercise and to be honest here (I mow better!).....keeping nice curvy lines, no stray pieces of grass, and then I trim like a Banchie. I also recognize weeds that need to be pulled, crab grass etc. I really enjoy gardening.

This is all in the front yard. In the back I have a 1400 foot wood deck, loaded with pots of Orchids, ferns, potted palms and bromeliads.

Surrounding the deck is an 85 year old oak that makes for much work because of droppings in the pool and 18 foot bamboo surrounding the rest.

I love the out doors and yard work.

r.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?
    Blondie, Because my husband works 7 days a week, I have assumed yard duty, which is good exercise and to be honest here (I mow better!).....

Translation is that she has a certain way she wants it done, which only she is capable of doing. During the first years of our marriage we would try doing projects together, which would invariably end up with her standing over me with hands on hips and an Ethel Mermen glare on her face asking "Are you sure you know what you are doing"???

A couple of years back I completely redid the bathroom, put new floors and window treatments throughout the house, painted and installed french doors etc....all while she was away. When Restrangled saw eveything, she said "I had no idea you could do such good work".

We both do our thing, but always manage to get everything handled......as long as we don't do it together.

• carla
    carla

If you really want to get out of mowing the lawn you must marry a jw. They will not let the yard go for fear of looking like a bum or getting a ticket for grass being too long (if they really do that). I used to mow the lawn, take care of flower beds & garden. Finally I figured that could be his job and just quit doing it. Soon he took it over and heck, long grass does not bother me one bit! My neighbors have complained that if you cut your lawn then they have to cut theirs or they look bad. I'm always trying to help the neighbors out so why make them suffer? In this heat it's best to let it get a little long anyway.

• lies all lies
    lies all lies

I also enjoy doing my own yard work. I like to sit back with a cool drink when its all done and looking pretty. I don't think I could do it in jeans in that kind of heat though lol Here in CA I usually just wear shorts to do my yard work, unless its winter. I plan on moving to the Orlando, FL as soon as my finances allow, hope I can afford a nice place with a yard there.

• PEC
    PEC

r.

For $100 a month you can hire someone (In San Diego it would a Mexican or a Vietnamese, in Florida a Cubin.) to do the yard. You can be sipping a cold one making sure they do the job just way you want.

alt

Philip (of the pay someone to do it class.)

• knock knock
    knock knock

I kind of like the yard work myself. I'm a fairly new homeowner and am still getting the hang of some of the lawn care stuff but I don't know anything about plants and I could use a good/cheap landscape designer to come up with a plan for me to follow through on. I'd rather do yard work than housework any day. Now where's that hedge trimmer....?

• garybuss
    garybuss

I don't mind yard work if that's all I have to do. When I have to work all day and come home hot and tired and work three more hours on the yard, I don't enjoy it at all.

I enjoy our location. I wouldn't want to move any time soon. We are currently watching the wild turkey raise her 5 chicks. They're getting pretty big now. I put sunflower seeds closer to the house today so we can get a photo opportunity.

The spring fawns are getting pretty big now too. There was only one set of twins this year. Evenings we can have 5 to 7 deer grazing in the back yard. One year we had twin fox pups. They were fun to watch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit