Can't attend the footwashing,but

by Junction-Guy 26 Replies latest jw friends

• DubNoMo
    DubNoMo

Muslims wash feet but they keep it to themselves. :)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I attend a foot-washing twice daily.

Attractive females are always welcome. LOL!

• heathen
    heathen

The J-dubs may not wash feet but they sure do take their brainwashing seriously ..... I also remember them jumping my a$$ over washing my car .

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

"The J-dubs may not wash feet but they sure do take their brainwashing seriously "

well said!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I guess that a person would cut thier toe nails before service, and if they had yellow toe nails they might be too embarassed to attend.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yeah I guess there is the possibility of someone having smelly feet or fungus. I have had 2 blood clots in my leg, and my ankle looks pretty bad sometimes, so yeah I have been self conscious about that too, but I just went ahead with it. My cousin Harold Dean washed my feet last year, and he said "oh that must be that diseased leg from your blood clot" I said "yes" and everything was Ok after that.

Update-----I went to church today to a small primitive baptist church. It wasnt what I was expecting. Of course they didnt have any musical instruments, however the singing wasnt as emotional as the way they sing it in Kentucky. The preaching wasnt as loud or colorful like it is down home. The singing kinda reminded me of kingdom melodies---without the piano.

They didnt shout or testify. They didnt even pass a collection plate, and no-one prayed around the altar, in fact there was no altar.

The people were super friendly though, and they also just happened to have dinner on the grounds today, and it was delicious.

I think this church would not seem too scary to the exiting J-Dub, there wasnt any fire and brimstone. I may check this church out again just to see if todays services are the norm, or toned down because of me-a visitor.

Also I did get to do a little anti-witnessing today.

One interesting thing I must add is there was this guy there that looked really familiar to me, I couldnt quite place him though. I was told he used to be a city police officer, but since I seldom work in intake, I dont know too many city officers.

So finally I went up and spoke with him, and he too says he recognized me, but didnt know where.

Finally after a few minutes of talking come to find out that we were both applying for the city police back in 1999, and I remember him being from Kentucky and that was the conversation starter back then. We both were there in 1999 at the physicals for the city police. He was a really cool guy and we had talked quite a bit back then. We were both Ky Wildcat fans.

All in all it was a good experience for me, however there is one part of their doctrine I dont agreee with and that is predestination. In fact one of their songs was called "Lord, I didnt choose you". I really couldnt sing that song, it just didnt seem right to me.

I am gonna go back and see their service at least one more time.

• heathen
    heathen
    however there is one part of their doctrine I dont agreee with and that is predestination.

I keep in mind that there are scriptures that do support the idea .Like God had everything planned out before creation even.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    Well today is footwashing sunday at my home church in Kentucky. This is always a favorite event for me. They usually have guest preachers, special singing, and of course, dinner on the grounds. Some of the best country cookin this side of the Ohio river.

wow, I had no idea this was a real thing. I wonder if they do this in places here or if it's mainly up north? Either way I hope everyone washes their hands properly before eating...

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yes Heathen, I do keep that in mind. I dont make too big a deal out of the predestination vs.Freewill, but it does seem a little odd to me as Im used to the Freewill mindset, so singing that song just wouldnt feel right to me.

Misanthropic, there are a few denominations that as a whole, wash feet, such as Freewill Baptist, however it is mostly practiced in Appalachia.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Foot washing takes place in many churches in the UK too, but generally on the run-up to Easter.

I seem to remember that it happens in the Catholic Church here, and that the Priest washes the feet of the congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit