Can't attend the footwashing,but

by Junction-Guy 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well today is footwashing sunday at my home church in Kentucky. This is always a favorite event for me. They usually have guest preachers, special singing, and of course, dinner on the grounds. Some of the best country cookin this side of the Ohio river.

I called my cousin last night and told her I wouldn't be able to make it, as it is just too hard to get off work, shower,pack, and travel 200+miles to church, by 11 AM. So I will have to pass on it this time.

However since Im staying in Knoxville I'm thinking of attending a small Baptist church here in Knoxville that is similar to the Freewill Baptists, but slightly different in doctrine. They also wash feet, plus their preaching style is probably similar too.

I haven't been to church since Easter, and Im looking forward to some kind of worship service this sunday morning.

• blondie
    blondie

So does this figurative foot-washing translate into improved humility among the members in a nonpublic way? What examples have you seen?

Blondie

• coaster
    coaster

Blondie, I think it is literal. This is Kenucky and Tenn. where they don't wear shoes much.

Just a damn little joke!....coaster

• blondie
    blondie

Oh, I know they literally wash feet, but it is only figurative in the sense that it was a regular custom or practicality to wash the feet of visitors in Jesus' day not something reserved for a special Sunday once in awhile.

It would be interesting if you had to wash to feet of someone you had a grudge against.

Blondie

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

To answer your question, On footwashing sunday they also have communion, anyone who attends church there would not even partake or wash feet if they had a grudge against someone there. It is also a time of repenting and forgiving.

Amanda and my cousin Cathy washed each others feet 2 years ago. I usually just wash one set of feet, but it's not uncommon for people to wash multiple feet.

It is a sign of humility and they also see it as another sacrament in addition to baptism and communion.

I remember the first time I did it, It felt so odd, since being raised a JW, just about everything taught from the bible was figurative.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I remember one service a few years ago. A woman testified that she was angry against someone and that she was moved to forgive them. She had even pondered not coming to service that day, but she prayed hard about it and she was moved to forgive. She then felt OK to partake in communion and wash feet. They take it serious about forgiving someone.

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

What if someone's feet smell really really bad? What does one do then? Washing feet is gross! Or what if the person whose feet you're going to wash has fungus? *shrugs* lol justahuman - but super nonetheless

• Undecided
    Undecided

I go to church with my wife, just because she likes to go and thinks she has some touch with God. I just see it as a social gathering, some good people, some not so good. The rituals seem to me just something to do to please some imaginative person in the sky. There are too many different ways to please God, depending on which religion you chose. Which one has a clue as to what a super power in space would want us to do, if anything? It seems he has lost interest in this little experiment he started billions of years ago. He made us to die, as well as everything else so I guess we just should enjoy each day as best we can.

If you can find some comfort in a religion that doesn't cause harm to others, then go for it. The bible has so many different ways to explain what God want's and what he plans on doing(mostly destruction and revenge) that I couldn't decide on what to believe. So here I am just taking each day as it comes, trying to enjoy it until that fateful day when I die. If he want's to cook me in a fire forever, I guess I will be really hot then.

Ken P.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I really like your style, Undecided.

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Sounds like a group of people just making nice with others. Not anything wrong with that. I guess it could be worse. They could be out on the streets bugging people or making people believe that Christ is an archangel or one of the chief princes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit