tattoos and piercings, do they have a meaning for you?

by memario 42 Replies latest jw friends

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    My neighbors son lives in Korea and visits his family each Summer. He is a banker or motor-cycle gang member or something like that.
    Last year he appeared at a barbecue that my ever-gregarious wife invited him to and proceeded to strip off his shirt, it was quite chilly at the time so I wondered why he was doing this and for a moment thought that he was unable to handle the imported beer that he was quaffing and was making a play for another of our guests. He claimed to be warm but it soon became obvious why he had unclothed himself with such glee. A huge Phoenix rising from the ashes of his belly-button was tatooed on his chest. He asked me what I thought of it and I replied that as long as it did not try to drink my Scotch it could stay.
    This chap is very tall, but a little overweight and very hairless, so it became an interesting study in human locomotion watching the Phoenix rise and fall every time he took a breathe. I became so fascinated my wife began to worry about my sexuality. Eventually, thank the Lord it began to rain and we all retired indoors at which point I insisted he clothe himself before he sat on my 300 year old armchair.
    Anyway, he arrived again this year for his summer vacation and I saw him picking up the mail this morning, without his shirt of course. I was shocked to see that the Phoenix, in concert with his now ample left breast, was drooping heavily as if it were asleep. In fact it looked rather pale and ill, no longer proudly rising from the ashes but diving nervously for cover.
    The moral of the story? Well, if you have to have a tattoo, be prepared for a changing and ageing body when you choose a design. Or keep your shirt on.
    HS

lmao!!! That comment alone made this entire thread worth reading, HS you have such a way with words!

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I have to agree with Misanthropic. That was hilarious. -ithinkisee

• Mysterious
    Mysterious
    1. Who would wear the same clothes every day of their life?

I am going to quit my job now so I don't have to wear a uniform.

2.Who would sport the same hairstyle every day of their life?

I'll tell my boyfriend's father how horrible and boring his life must have been to have the same haircut for 40 years.

3.Who would wear the same jewelry and accessories every day of their life?

Indeed put your wedding band in the drawer where it belongs.

4.Who would so limit their choices that they'd never, ever change something about themselves no matter what?

I wasn't aware that laser removal had been outlawed and that no tattoo artist would do coverups anymore. Seriously do us a favor and look up "tattoo coverups" on a google image search.

WELL, THAT'S A TATOO.

No that's a false analogy.

Turning your body into a bathroom wall for somebody to decorate with graffiti is a permanent choice completely closing all options for change.

Having an artist assist you in decorating your skin with a design of your choice is certainly NOT allowing yourself to be used as a bathroom wall for graffiti and ther ARE several good options for change.

The art is usually mundane, tacky, obvious, commonplace and banal.

Sounds like a JW'ism style blanket statement to me. By usual there are exceptions. The key is to be the exception. Yes tacky tattoos are bad. However even by your statement you admit that not all art is mundane, tacky, obvious, commonplace and banal.

From a distance a tatoo looks like a bad bruise or an itchy rash.

I think they have optometrists to solve this one.

When you are old you'll look like the love child of a sailor and an ex-con gone wild.

If tattoos are so popular you are calling them succumbing to peer pressure then I would expect you to not assume that growing old with a generation of tattooed people is going to make you into the love child of a sailor or an ex-con gone wild.

Tatoos don't express identity as much as they express succumbing to peer pressure to be one of the crowd.

Right because no one has been the first in their friend group to get a tattoo. No one has tattoos that are so meaningful they do not show anyone. Everyone wants to spend a large amount of time, money and pain just to fit in.

Being different makes you an individual; not doing what just about every other Tom, Dick and Harriet is doing.

I hereby vow to be an individual. I will no longer brush my teeth, sleep with a pillow or wear sandals in the summer.

Would you draw on a flower?

I don't care for flowers so no I would not. I would also not get a tattoo of one. So?

What do tatoos mean to me personally? They make me very sad, usually.

I am sorry that your closed mind does not allow you to appreciate the beauty and meaning tattoos have for others but I respect your decision to not tattoo yourself.

Aborigines, prisoners, sailors, slaves and primitive pagans sported tatoos. How lovely it is that 15 year old girls have joined that lot!!

I bet they all masturbated too. Wait would you be against your 15 year old daughter? Nevermind. Oh and no reputable shop would tattoo a 15 year old without parental permission. Don't blame them, blame the folks.

No thank you.

To each their own.

Do what you like. It is your body. Unfortunately the rest of us have to look at your permanent selection in its monotonous banality.

Yes girls and boys please do us all a favor and get some plastic surgery. Your faces are rather monotonous. I mean half your family has that nose right? How banal.

Cool, it ain't.

Cool isn't the effect many are looking for. And cool is also a subjective judgement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit