Anyone seen the Secret?

by Satans little helper 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

Someone lent me the dvd of the Secret over the weekend. We watched it last night and I wondered what everyone thought of it?

I thought that it was very "evangelical" and alot like the JW's - large on promise and small on content.

• caligirl
    caligirl

I have no personal experience with it, but I do know a friend of ours who watched it and decided to wish for sex with an asian lady, and the next day, he got his wish when a old flame knocked on the door out of the blue. And yes, she was asian. So, I don' t know if it was "The Secret" at work, or just coincidence, but he says it worked for him!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I saw no parallel at all with the JW's. It's simply another way to market positive thinking - and that's been around for donkeys years!

I read the book and saw the DVD. I thought it was well put together but since I live my life believing that positive energy is much more beneficial than negative energy, it didn't tell me anything I didn't know.

JW's live a life of negative energy - they are waiting for tomorrow so they don't have to engage in today - that's negative. I see it as a totally opposite way of life to that of JWism. That's my perspective anyway. sammieswife.

• outnfree
    outnfree

I loved it, but I must agree that it is pretty much another take on positive thinking.

While I noted that some on the "panel" seemed to espouse Christian values, I agree with sammieswife that I noted NO parallel at all with JWism. On the contrary, I feel the JW religion is always telling you to put off enjoyment today for a post-Armageddon "harvest." 'The Secret' maintains that you don't have to wait for your personal paradise, you can create it here with powerful visualization, positive thoughts, and working in harmony with your goals (Hmmmm...well may that "working in harmony" bit was somewhat Dubby).

I DO believe that gratitude as an attitude and visualizing joy make for a happier existence all around.

I have employed the techniques and have had all sorts of "impossible" things come true for me since last November when I first viewed it.

Since you attracted the DVD to you, perhaps you've been wanting its message on some level? Perhaps play it again and reflect on what parts of it resonated most with you?

Wishing you the best,

out

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

For anyone who is not familiar with the positive thinking mindset - I would definitely endorse the DVD and the book. In fact, I would engage my teenagers in the discussion and viewing of the material because it promotes a 'can do' mentality - all within the framework of a balanced lifestyle. sammieswife.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I've seen the DVD and am now reading the book. I really think there is something to it.

I don't believe the Society would approve the Secret. They don't want us to achieve anything unless it fits their agenda.

• fedorE
    fedorE

U know what im so glad u brougtht this up...cause im always looking for really good not so much religious movies but movies that make u think about our perceptions .....and i havent seen The secret..but im gona dowld it .....I have seen however THE SECOND COMING (2003) with christpher eccelston WOW i loved that movie..at least 7.9/10 for me .about Jesus reappearance ....also the Celestine Prphecy..which i thought was ok i guess...GODDAMIT though i just hope THE SECRET isnt gona try to teach me to be nicer than i already am ...lol

• wednesday
    wednesday

I saw the DVD. I think having a positive attitude is helpful. It certainly wont hurt anything.

I tend to be " 'waiting for the other shoe to drop" most of the time.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I noted how NON JW it was, but that was my take on it. I find the WT/JW teaching to be very negative, very destructive, very anti (anything). Positive thinking? Magical thinking? Assuming the best will happen? Wishing for something? NOT very Jw at all in my experience.

I noted that there are elements I have seen in religious healing-faith healing. Magical thinking. . .but I don't think it makes positive thinking religious, I think that religion is smart enough to have tapped into a basic principle.

Since my outlook has been changing lately, I have noticed silly and important things that have changed. I always find a good parking spot when I am thinking of how I need one. We sold our house in 10 days in a Buyers market. We then bought a great house for nearly 40K under its value. I started expecting good things and realized I deserved them. My marriage is even getting better (or at least we are nicer to each other-got to start somewhere!)

I have always noted that my little sis has NEVER had the 'just grateful for being alive' attitude. She loves life and enjoys nice things and fully expects that she will get more because she should. And she does. Life isn't perfect, but she has a lifestyle that my mom is constantly pooh poohing (putting her down for having floors refinished before she moved in the house---can't she just make DO like other people, who does she think she IS anyway-Bill gates??)My sister and her husband are smart, have worked hard and smart and are wise with their money. So they get nice houses, vacations, a second home and new cars if they want them. Its not like they can use their money in the new system ANYWAY, right? I have been a bit evangelical in encouraging my kids to expect the best-my husband too. I like the way it feels, because as a JW, it was a constant litany of we are basically bad and don't deserve anything, and it doesn't matter anyway, the world will end soon, so why strive for anything 'worldly'. That stupid attitude stuck with me longer than the religion did, but at least I finally shed it.

I have not become greedy for things I don't have a right to, I have realized that I am worthy of the things that I DO have a right to,have worked for and often, need. And I will not apologise to my mom when I get MY floors refinished, either! :)

• Marcel
    Marcel

of course there is a similarity to JWs and "the secret". its both faked BS from humans for humans. not worth it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit