So who's having therapy then?

by sweet pea 12 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

I have made an appointment to see a therapist who has been highly recommended (I don't think I would ahve taken that step, had it not been for the recommendation and that this therapist is strongly involved with a church so probably has a pretty good idea about the issues involved with cults and the like).

Are any of you currently in therapy, have had it or are about to have it?

For those that have, has it helped?

For those about to, what do you hope to achieve?

This site alone has helped me immensely and I'm not sure what else I can hope to achieve with therapy - I suppose I'm just hoping that I'll learn some extra coping techniques for dealing with what feels like losing the last 36 years of my life, having to start all over again with friendships, dealing with the painful things current JW friends and family do and say and actually trying to work out who I really am....

• free2think
    free2think

Hi Sweet Pea,

Im in therapy at the moment, got a couple of sessions left. It has really helped me to deal with my issues and guilt about leaving and all the anger. It helps just having someone to talk things through with, without the fear of being judged or told that what you are saying is wrong.

I hope your sessions go well, sounds like your on to a good therapist..

• ninja
    ninja

I attacked a therapist once....it said "therapist" on his door and I thought it said "the rapist"......funny how a lickle space makes all the difference....anyways he's fine ....he's in therapy now.....busmans holiday type deal

• greendawn
    greendawn

Sweet Pea you shouldn't worry so much about the time you lost with the JWs you have plenty of time ahead of you and as you adjust to a new life the JW era will come to be like a storm in the distance. There are plenty of nice people outside the JW world to associate and have a great social life with.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hi sweet pea

I finished my latest therapy earlier this year. I've been in and out for the last two years and have found it unbelievably helpful!! I had a lot of guilt, fear and shame which affected every bit of my life. I still have a long way to go yet, but I've found that I'm in God's timing - He hasn't made me deal with everything all at once, you'll probably find He's like that!

One thing I'd warn you before you go (I was told the same thing by someone else) - you may feel worse before you feel better! It's hard work at times and painful. I found a lot of ''baggage' surfacing that I hadn't even realised was there.

All the best on your journey of rediscovery

• outnfree
    outnfree

sweet pea --

I had therapy for a while post-escape from JWism, post-mother's death, post-divorce after almost 26 years of marriage. The diagnosis/reason for therapy for all three was "grief and loss" counseling.

The time you spent in the WT probably feels like a loss to you. And you grieve your lost contacts, so I'd guess counseling will help you. It did me.

It also helped me face my deepest fears and to figure out my almost-automatic--based on deeply held or deeply "inculcated" beliefs--patterns of self-blame and care-taking responses. Now, when I start to inappropriately 'caretake" -- I recognize it, step back, and make a conscious decision about whether or not I really want and/or need to be doing that. Most often, I can let the others in my life run their own lives, which is very liberating and, restful, actually.

I hope you find your therapy sessions to be at least as helpful to you as mine were to me.

out

P.S. The sooner you are willing to go past the surface talking and get to FEELING the sooner you will have results and the less time and money you will spend. But I found that's easier said than done. Good Luck!

• changeling
    changeling

Not yet, but I intend to.

changeling

• animal
    animal

I did and it was well worth it.... back in '94. I think I posted a long story about it, called "Taming of the Beast"... look in my post history. I learned about codependence and learned how to beat it and live.

Animal

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

oh ninja, it's nice to see you posting again - I missed your posts. As for therapy, yes, I'm seeing a psychiatrist and psychologist at the moment to deal with the post traumatic stress thingy. Saw a therapist for about a year many years ago before fading out of JWs. Might not have faded successfully without that therapist - was extremely helpful and I have always been grateful. However, I think you sometimes have to check out a couple of therapists until you find one who fits your needs.

• Mincan
    Mincan

I'm very afraid.

I think I might need some therapy very soon. I am not dealing with anything. I'm getting really scared. I'm addicted to marijuana now and I have bipolar. Im afraid that I want to kill myself. Im afraid im going to screw up the rest of my life Im not going to be able to deal with it later.

I dont know how to get help. Im starting to get really scared.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit