Music Fans!! Once again I Ask, What's Your Top 10 Favorite Albums?

by flipper 80 Replies latest jw friends

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

I plead temporary ongoing insanity...I forgot

Aja....Steely Dan

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I should have included takk by Sigur rós .

takk...

listen to the album
    watch the glósóli video
    tracklist and credits
    artwork images
    recording takk
    takk documentary
    lyrics and translations
    takk in concert
    takk press
    order takk online

takk...

‘takk…’, the fourth album from sigur rós, was released by emi records on september 12. written, performed and produced by the band (along with co-producer ken thomas) at their studio in álafoss, iceland, ‘takk…’ is the record to justify every amazing claim ever laid at this exceptional band’s door.

huge and intimate, orchestral and gossamer-light, rich layered and essentially simple, ‘takk…’ is a work of a band operating at the very top of their game. it accomplishes what maybe they haven’t done since they first appeared, which is to make high-flown ideas appear to be straight ahead pop music, or, perhaps more accurately, invest pop music with a sense of magic long since lost in the mists of time and imagination (not that they sound anything like any music made back in any mythical musical heyday).

‘takk…’ seems to operate so far outside the confines of what else is going on as to make comparison redundant. that the band were not going to be held by any narrow categorisation was apparent from the off. that they might be capable of creativity at this level of freedom and imagination was more than any of us might ever have hoped for. ‘takk…’ is an instant classic, and might well turn out to be sigur rós’s masterpiece.

“there is nothing clever about sigur rós and how we write songs, it’s just mucking about really. it’s all very spontant (sic),” says the band’s kjartan sveinsson, although most musicians could muck about for millennia and never come up with anything approaching ‘takk…’.

flowing through 65 minutes of 11 linked pieces, ‘takk…’ came together relatively quickly (in sigur rós terms), with recording starting in earnest last december and mixing finishing this june. the running order more or less wrote itself by the spring, with several additional songs naturally falling by the wayside as the record took shape.

the band deliberately put a halt to live performances two years ago, to ensure anything they wrote towards the album would remain fresh in their minds. as a result only two of the songs on ‘takk…’ have ever been heard at shows (prior to the band’s current european jaunt), with the remaining nine taking off in a multitude of new directions, only hinted at by the band’s previous work. ideas burst free in every direction, where before the band might have worked through a concept to its utter conclusion (playing and developing a song as slowly as possible – the origin of a thousand ‘glacial’ metaphors), they now burn through ideas with scant regard. songs begin in one time signature and end in another, having morphed beyond recognition on their passage through. a beautiful piano motif will be bombed into submission by power chords, which in turn will succumb to a heavenly string-led calm after the storm.

that said, sigur rós can still take a breathtakingly long time to get to the point. the see-sawing strings and distant piano of ‘mílanó’ are like watching omar shariff appear on the horizon in lawrence of arabia, while, the orchestration towards the end of ‘andvari’ changes almost imperceptibly on its way towards its epiphany.

elsewhere, ‘takk…’ is literally packed with music, so much so, that you wonder how the band managed to keep the space, clarity and separation in the sound. the ascent of ‘svo hljótt’ is dizzying and disorientating, while ‘glósóli’ features the crump of no fewer than three bass drums, before taking us through the ceiling of the song with a guitar that keeps climbing long after you think it must have reached its zenith.

‘takk…’ is, according to the band (with icelandic tongue firmly placed in icelandic cheek), a “rock’n’roll record” – and it certainly is on occasion played both loud and fast – but few of the clichés of the genre come through sigur rós intact. in fact, listening to ‘takk…’ it is not images of rebellion or off-the-peg degradation that comes to mind, but more a feeling of being washed clean by music. even when they rock sigur rós provide a clear spot of, dare i say, sanctity, and, at the end, of the record the prevailing feeling is one of peace.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

PrimateDave-

Brian Eno with Daniel Lanois & Roger Eno Apollo Atmospheres and Soundtracks

I love that album too. Easily my favorite of Eno's ambient albums, and Lanois' pedal steel playing on it is fantastic.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Bark Psychosis - Hex

Talk Talk - Laughing Stalk

U2 - Achtung Baby

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

The Cure - Disintegration

David Bowie - Hunky Dory

Radiohead - Amnesiac

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

• ninja
    ninja

1/bends-radiohead... 2/marshall mathers lp-/eminem.. 3/love hysteria-pete murphy.. 4/if you want blood-ac/dc .. 5/the raven-the stranglers ..6/rattus norvegicus-the stranglers ..7/grace-jeff buckley ...8/the queen is dead-the smiths ..9/tigermilk-belle and sebastian 10/anything by feeder

• flipper
    flipper

Mr. Flipper here, goin to work soon, just wanted to add I really have a good amount of best of and greatest hits albums too from some musicians because the quality of songs due to the particular musicians output is just better sometimes. You know when you buy a cd or album how many of us have been pissed when finding out we only like one song on it? But these days with listening stations and getting music off the internet and all it minimizes that

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I love Belle and Sebastian, ninja.

• flipper
    flipper

Hello everybody, Mr. Flipper here again. I figured I'd bump the thread up since it's getting a lot of responses and it's something fun for people to do. I'm so busy with work this week won't have time to rank these votes till the end of the week to see who ended up with a lot. So it gives more time to put names out there you guys and gals like

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

I have a hard time picking favorites in anything. I just like to see/do/listen/eat some things more than others.

I was on another forum and took 4 MP3 CDs off of my stack, and listed the contents:

Albert King, Mofro, some miscellaneous world music, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Gang Starr, Gap Band, Gerry Mulligan, Jack Johnson, Jill Scott, Jaco Pastorius, James Brown, James Taylor, Jimmy Buffett

I will do another random sample of the next three CDs:

Miscellaneous jazz and fusion songs, including Charlie Hunter, Dennis Chambers, Lionel Hampton, Jeff Beck, Jeff Berlin, Michael Manring (met him!), and Harry Connick, Jr.

Miscellaneous hip hop/urban from the early 80s to mid-2000s

16 number one singles from each of the years 1970-79

Marcus Miller, Miles Davis, Phish

If someone held a gun to my head, many of the classic rock albums some of you listed would be on my list.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

"If someone held a gun to my head...."

That came off a little wrong. I love classic rock. I mean that if forced to come up with a list, I would have at least one Zep album on my list, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit