letter from my parents

by thebiggestlie 25 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

I take it you are baptized? I would be very careful about what you write, wouldn't they show it to an elder?

I'm sure his parents do love him. That does not negate his wanting out of this dangerous and deadly cult. In fact it should show him just how cultish it really is that his parents will disown him if he chooses to leave. I have a difficult time with posters here who always say, 'they think they are doing the right thing', 'they are sincere', so what? So was Hitler and other dictators, they were just as sincere, it doesn't make them any more right than the jw who professes love but only if..... They are spiritually and emotionally abusing him as do all jw family members who shun because someone chooses not to live their life by the dictates of a bunch of old men in NY.

From reading numerous stories here and elsewhere I would suggest a back up plan and start saving and hide your money. Try and do as they wish while you are under their roof but that does not mean you shouldn't still research. If they have the 'truth' they wouldn't mind close examination. Truth does not fear scrutiny. You could one day try and strike a deal (not likely they would agree) to read with you the C of C book.

I wish you all the best. Seriously consider finding someone who will take you in if it comes to that. A local church will help if you have no other options which it sounds like it may be the case as they do not allow you 'worldly' friends?

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

having a backup plan for a roof over your head is practical advice!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Hi!

By all means DO watch your association because there are people out there that may get you to do wrong things like going against the law. That would mean trouble for you. Don't rebel against the law or your parents. By leaving the Witnesses, you are not rebelling against them. You are simply making an educated choice for yourself. Please be careful of the friends you make by not making the dangerous, thoughtless, immature kinds of friends just to spite your parents. There are many very good people in this world and it may take time to find them, but they are there. The friends you mentioned may be some of these good ones. You don't have to be a JW to be a good person or make good friends, either. I don't mean to assume your intentions are not the right ones because I don't know you. I'm a mother of teenagers and that is the advice I give them. Be nice to your mom and dad but I don't believe you need to fall under their guilt trips. I wish you the best and take care with how your life is going because only you can do that.

Loving regards, Chenoa

• gymbob
    gymbob

Carla is right.....be careful about what you write down to them if you have been baptized.

If you write something that could be taken as apostate, you could easily be DF'd, and that would change everything.

My parents and family have nothing to do with me anymore, but if they did, i'd like to ask my mom this question:

Back in the late 50's when you first started studying with JW's, if someone had told you that in 2007 Armageddon still will not have come; and this religion will tell you not to speak with or have anything to do with your children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren because they grew up and as adults chose not to be witnesses, would you still join it?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I feel for you.

You'll do the right thing. Only you know what that is.

Be courageous. Be firm. Be kind.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    esw... wrote: there is a road that YOU must follow and it does not follow theirs at this time.

I think this is a very good line. *at this time* softens it for them. I realize that it may also allow them to keep their hopes up that you will 'return to Jehovah' but right now it may be important for them to hold on to that hope. It could also encourage them to keep the communication open between the three of you.

It is up to you to show them that you can keep you head straight when going out in the real world. We know you can do it and so do you.

It's hard for all parents to let their kids grow up. It's terrifying for witness parents to watch their kids choose a different path. They will learn to adapt and you will thrive.

-Denise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit