What has Worked for You When Trying to Reason with Witness Relatives?

by flipper 32 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Hello folks. A loaded question for sure. After being out of the org. for 4 years I find that the longer I'm out, the bolder and more courageous I'm becoming in trying to talk with my witness relatives about scandals in the witness faith and disagreements on their view of education , among other things. Some of my relatives are so deeply entrenched as super righteous dubs, I don't think I could say anything to dissuade them. But my mom , who wants to keep a good relationship with me lets me talk with her and she actually listens. So hopefully some of it will start sinking in. I have one son who is 22 an ex witness, we get along great,very close. But my two daughters are still in dubdom, 20 and 19. I've tried to talk with my older daughter about the child molestation settlements and she said, "Well, dad, it's just Jehovah's way of cleaning out the organization". Sigh! So, any suggestions out there with you guys? What has worked for you? Have you been able to reach them at all with any kind of reasoning? I welcome any and all thoughts on this. Would love to eventually get my daughters out of it. Peace to you all, Mr. Flipper

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

It will be a noble effort on your part, and I hate to be negative, but I'm afraid it won't do any good. Presenting logic to ones who are under the influence of mind control is one of the hardest tasks you could ever attempt, because common sense doesn't register with their highly indoctrinated brain. They believe with full confidence that the Watchtower Society only speaks truth, so any attempt of trying to explain reason to them is entirely frustrating.

In the book "Answering Jehovah's Witnesses", the author explains: "With JW's, however, there is much more at stake than wounded pride. They feel a strong obligation to bring you into "God's organization" and do not want to undermine their efforts by admitting uncertainty on their part. Even if you succeeded in introducing a few doubts into the JW's mind, but he has not rejected the Watchtower organization, he doesn't dare admit those doubts. It would spoil his efforts to convert you."

Witnesses will continually profess they are correct, regardless of pure logic, believing that they have the truth even if they have not done the research to prove it. That, in itself, is a defining factor of all cults. It does not really matter what the Bible says, they have the mind set that they are correct, regardless of sheer logic. But if you can plant just one wedge of doubt, the possibilities are endless.

• Nellie
    Nellie

I hate to agree, but I must. The best you can hope for is to plant seeds of doubt. I remember 10, 15, 20 years ago when my brother (who was never a witness) tried to reason with me about doctrine - I wasn't ready to listen! Nothing he or anybody else could've said to me would've made any difference. Believe it or not, it wasn't until an elder told me to disregard something from the watchtower that I questioned - that I realized I COULD disagree with something that came from the society. That was probably the turning point for me. But that was at least 10 years ago.

Plant seeds of doubt - that's my advice . . .

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks for your responses folks. I have been trying to plant seeds of doubt, and it might gradually be working on my mom. But like you say, I realize that they are brainwashed to respond with their set responses even in spite of the real truth being told them. Thaks, I'll keep dropping off subtle seeds of doubt

• journey-on
    journey-on

NOTHING.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

A frontal lobotomy for them and a Bottle in front of me.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Even a card game I invented that requires a person to place the card on the left if it is true, with the goal of making them realize the the WTS is guilty of false prophecy, has not worked. Even after they place all the cards in the truth pile, they still refuse to admit that the WTS is anything but imperfect, not sinful. Even the most untrained witness can come up with excuses on the fly like a mother fucker. Tenacious they are in their denial.

• changeling
    changeling

I agree with what most here have said. Tiny seeds, brief comments made in the course of a conversation, then letting things be, has worked for us. Letting time pass, and the dust settle. Letting our actions and the actions of the WT speak for themselves.

I am not at liberty to disclose my progress for fear of being recognized but I will say that our efforts are working.

Whatever you do, tailor it to your audience. One size does not fit all in this matter.Use you head and be patient.

changeling

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I just ignore them the same as they ignore me. Works perfectly.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Silence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit