My disagreement with hubby on use of Jehovah's name around JW's...input

by megsmomma 21 Replies latest jw friends

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

Ok, this weekend I had a JW at my door and I sincerely gave a anti-wintess to him during which I did tell him I feel closer to Jehovah than I ever have and I still believe in Jehovah, just not the society. My husband thinks I should have said "the LORD" or "GOD" instead, because he thinks it sounds like I was being hypicritical in a way.

My take is that to sound like I knew what I was talking about, and to lessen the likliness of him turning his ears off right away, I should talk in a way he is comfortable with.

Hubby thinks it is more beneficial to show you are free from their wording and say what you mean from your learning that Jehovah is not GOD's only true name.

What do you all think? What do you say when talking to them if you get the chance?

• Gopher
    Gopher

I've never spoken at length to a JW since my exit from "Jehovah's organization", except to my parents.

But when I was a JW -- while doing the 'witnessing' work it didn't really matter what the other person said, I viewed them as "wrong".

If a person used the words "Lord" or "God", the 'false-Christian' alarm would go off in my head. If a person used the name "Jehovah" I wasn't sure if it was because they really called God that or if they were just trying to get on my level. More people would say "Lord" or "God".

It didn't matter. They couldn't get through to me no matter how they phrased things.

• tremoka
    tremoka

I side with you on this one. Although I may use just God more than Jehovah. I may say Jehovah for that common ground you spead of 1-2x, but for the rest of the conversation to be true to my belief I'll just say 'God'.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Mixed bag, I don't like their loaded language. I don't say "preaching" but
    use "literature distribution." I don't say "Bible student" but use "literature student."
    I do this freely in front of the wife and some other JW's. I don't even think they
    truly notice, but I don't like their thought-stopping.

My wife still asks me to pray before the two of us eat, and I do. I am certain that
    she notices that I don't use "Jehovah" and my prayer could fit in a JW gathering
    or a completely different gathering, but she still asks me to pray.

For a stranger at the door, there's nothing wrong with trying to keep their mind from
    shutting down. For someone you know, I would say to push it a bit farther.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

Thanks for the responses..

I had an Ahhhhhhh moment in reading OTWO's response because I also am trying to have an effect on my 9 yr old JW daughter and I try to avoid speaking "like a JW" to her because I don't want her to think I believe JW's are right.....I want to show her my faith is different from hers so I can show her the REASONS later when she's older. That was due to conversations with my hubby on the matter and that made sense to me.

I guess it is hard for him to neccesarily see the difference when talking to someone who doesn't know you and someone who does. I lliked the way you put it OTWO...I guess we are both right, it just depends on the circumstances....but, I don't want to be a "sell-out".

• sspo
    sspo

I agree with you, in using the name Jehovah with them, it anabled you to have their attention a little longer.

Lord and God, usually turns them off especially when it comes from ex JW.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I think the name "Jehovah" is grossly overused by JWs. I recall being annoyed many times when I was in the hall listening to prayers where the name "Jehovah" was used over 20 times in a single prayer. (yes, I counted) Even as a JW I thought that was seriously screwed up.

They use the word so much I think it has lost it's meaning for them.

W

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

When talking about god, I never use the J name, why do JW's feel comfortable using god's name even if it might be his name, I would never have called my dad by his name, I wouldn't call my grandparents by their name, why out of respect, if you don't refer to God as God or lord, father, then he is equal to you right?

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I understand your reasoning, but sorry, I'm with your hubby on this one.

• unique1
    unique1

I agree with how you handled it. They don't hear people that arent' witnesses use that phrase much so it would have shocked him/her into listening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit