Pride and Shame- An Interesting Perspective

by nvrgnbk 14 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Pride and shame: Seeing that your behavior arises on its own - out of your particular biologically given traits and your particular career through life, not from a non-material controlling self - might pry you loose from excessive pride and shame. Your successes resulted from personal characteristics given to you in their entirety by nature and nurture, combined with circumstances in which you could express your talents. Likewise, your failures arose not from some weakness of will that could have been otherwise, but out of conditions which can be understood as the natural unfolding of physical and psychological processes. Anyone with the same internal and external circumstances would have done as well, or as badly. Understanding this won’t change the fact that you enjoy success and regret failure, but it may loosen the grip of ego and ease the burden of self-blame.

http://www.naturalism.org/conseque.htm

• changeling
    changeling

Waxing philosophical tonight are we?

changeling

• changeling
    changeling

I have no shame.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Hi changeling!

I liked this perspective.

Seems rather balanced and reality-based.

• changeling
    changeling

I agree. Just not in a seroius mood tonight....

Just got my butt kicked in John Doe's warewolf game. I was wolfmeat this morning.

changeling

• flipper
    flipper

Nvr- I concur entirely. Let's see if I get this in layman's terms. Nothing ever to be ashamed about if we try our best and don't succeed at times. And yet, nothing to get too conceited about if we are tremendously successful, as another person in our situation could have done as good, maybe better? Am I getting the drift? I hope? So live life with a balanced view of our successes and failures, helps you keep a modest assessment of our gains in life but not to overeact to our losses. Getting close? Good thread. Love this psychological stuff. Peace to you, Mr. Flipper

• changeling
    changeling

I like mr. flipper!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Yes, changeling. Mr Flipper is one righteous dude.

Sorry about your defeat.

You shall rise another day, to conquer the wolf.

I think you got the basic idea of it Mr. Flipper.

If you did well, be happy and enjoy it. But there's no need to be arrogant.

If you failed, learn from it. But do not despair. Another in the same situation may have done far worse.

I think it really evens things out, almost like a good smoke.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Thank you for trying to pick us all up. I wont say anything negative to that.

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

Smoking is bad for your lungs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit