Pride and Shame- An Interesting Perspective

by nvrgnbk 14 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Thank you for trying to pick us all up. I wont say anything negative to that.

Thanks jaguar. I think this explanation evens things out nicely and fairly.

Smoking is bad for your lungs.

The smoking reference was a joke Anony-Mouse.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving
    Anyone with the same internal and external circumstances would have done as well, or as badly. Understanding this won’t change the fact that you enjoy success and regret failure, but it may loosen the grip of ego and ease the burden of self-blame.

That's a very freeing way of looking at things

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear NVRGNBK:

Thank you for the reference link. It has
    some pretty interesting material.

I will be reading more of it in the future.

Respectfully,

Richard

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    That's a very freeing way of looking at things

I thought so too ql.

Enjoy Richard. Although the thought of reading about yet another "ism" may be unpleasant, I find the link to contain logical and reality-based thoughts.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I also agree with this perspective. We are not all born with the same natural aptitudes nor are we afforded the same opportunities in life. We make choices to develop what aptitudes or opportunities we have, or we do not. Pride is merely "ego" and shame is just the opposite side of that same coin. We make mistakes in judgement due to inexperience, and we either learn from them and persevere or we do not.

It is a very freeing perspective. It is interesting to note that not all cultures carry the concepts of sin, guilt, shame, forgiveness, etc. It is a very distinct product of the Judeo-Christian perspective. When we free ourselves of these artificial constructs imposed upon us by our childhood conditioning, then we are truly free to pursue our natural aptitudes and opportunities as they arise without being hampered by a fear of failure or shame due to a false sense of pride. We can simply ask, in regards to all we choose to do, "is this action beneficial to myself, or to others/community" and allow that to be our moral guide.

Cog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit