Going to anoher church?

by KatyH81 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• KatyH81
    KatyH81

I just wondered if anyone has been to a church since fading, or getting out? And how did you feel when you went?

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I'm an atheist but I feel tremendously good that if I choose to go to a church (for social reasons or on invitation) I am absolutely free to do so.

A little word of caution though. A lot of people who leave get post-traumatic stress disorder, and they'll end up accepting pretty much anything that comes along. My brother got dfed and decided to try out a whole series of churches, ending in disaster every time. He ended up going slightly crazy (he believes he talks to God, it's so nuts I've chosen to limit my contact with him even though I don't have to anymore) and has his own religious views now.

If you've left the JWs, enjoy the fact that you are free. Go nuts if you want, go to every church you can possibly find. You can do it with absolutely no consequences. Mind-blowing isn't it? Oh, and welcome to the board.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Yes, and it's great!

I love hearing real gospel music and listening to sermons that are funny, exciting, and relavant. And my kids WANT to go, they have a great time in Sunday school and always look forward to Sundays rolling around. What a concept!

• changeling
    changeling

I have no interest whatsoever in religion. You may find me in a church to attend a wedding or a funeral, but that's it.

changeling

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

Yes, I found it liberating!

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I was so fed up with organized religion after the WTS it was about 30 years before I got up the nerve to enter a church.

This last summer I went to a Baptist church. I found passing the collection plate offensive. The first half hour was pretty much just a concert. Nice music but nothing like I had ever seen before. During prayers (I didn't close my eyes) I noticed they used that time to change people/choir/settings on stage. It seemed a bit disrespectful. The main sermon lasted about 20 minutes and he talked about a popular song Martina McBride had out about God. Being my first experience I was left a bit empty. They did serve coffee and donut holes in the lobby afterwards.

My second visit was a church just attended by elderly people. I went with my daughter & she noticed there was no one her age. They had a lot of music also but a more bible based sermon. Again the collection plate (my JW past just cannot tolerate that plate). Oh, and several of the ladies wore slacks or pants suits.

My third was to a smaller community Bible church. They had a shorter music prelude which was excellent. Rather informal dress - I saw everything from dresses, jeans to even a guy with shorts. The minister wore a print shirt w/ slacks. He gave an excellent bible based sermon on the man's responsibility in a marriage (it was father's day). They served coffee in the lobby and several people brought it into the meeting which made it smell very good in there. There were children at this service (I did not notice any at the other two) but no one was taken out and beat as far as I could tell.

This third church did not pass a collection plate and did not ask for donations. On their program I noticed they had listed their finances - income / expenses - for the last few weeks & year to date. There were donation boxes by the exit doors. They did pass communion for everyone - my first experience - tiny little containers of wine & bread. I did not partake (back to my JW past).

They are very involved in helping individual people in the community which was nice and very unlike JWs.

• kwrx
    kwrx

I strongly recommend ex-JW's to find a Church after leaving WTS. There are a lot of good people in other Churches and you can shop around for a while. You might ask around at work or with neighbors for a church. If you have cable TV some local churches broadcast their services on public access and you can check them out there. The biggest issue you face is comparing it to JW meetings, but other churches are not trying to train you to go door knocking, but to worship God and hear a sermon that is helpful to you. This is the cult I belong to: http://salemalliance.org/ ;-)

• caligirl
    caligirl

Yes, we go when we WANT to, usually a couple of times per month and we all enjoy it, kids included.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

I found the Unitarian Universalists a useful antidote to Jehovahdoom when my child was young, but now, I choose not to support any organized religion. I prefer not to, perhaps for obvious reasons. Religion is a crutch and replacing one for another doesn't seem any healthier than just staying a JW. But then again, JWs are a bit different, in the most unhealthy, over-controlling ways, from the more "liberal" religions. Just my take . . . I would not dissuade you from seeking, but seeking true knowledge and science, rather than metaphysics is the path I would choose, if I could go back . . . then again, I might not have met some of the wonderful people who have been an important part of my life if my choices were different . . . who knows?

• shopaholic
    shopaholic
    Religion is a crutch and replacing one for another doesn't seem any healthier than just staying a JW.

Yep...that's how I feel right now and don't see it changing anytime soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit