Question for diabetics---Need a recipe:

by whyizit 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Recently I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I avoid refined sugars as much as possible. One thing I noticed in my reading is that it is also very important to watch my fat intake, as fat can increase my resistance to the insulin my body produces.

As for applesauce, a google search will give recipes to make applesauce without sugar.

W

• Heather
    Heather

A stevia plant If you've ever tasted stevia, you know it's extremely sweet. In fact, this remarkable noncaloric herb, native to Paraguay, has been used as a sweetener and flavor enhancer for centuries. But this innocuous-looking plant has also been a focal point of intrigue in the United States in recent years because of actions by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The subject of searches and seizures, trade complaints and embargoes on importation, stevia has been handled at times by the FDA as if it were an illegal drug.

Since the passage of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA), stevia can be sold legally in the United States, but only as a "dietary supplement." Even so, it can be found in many forms in most health-food stores, and is also incorporated into drinks, teas and other items (all labeled as "dietary supplements"). It cannot, however, be called a "sweetener" or even referred to as "sweet." To do so would render the product "adulterated," according to the FDA, and make it again subject to seizure.

The purpose of our Web site is to provide as much information about stevia as possible, from the scientific studies regarding its safety to the petitions submitted by the Lipton Tea Company and the American Herbal Products Association. Stevia.net will be an ongoing project for us at Body Ecology, so check back often, as we will be augmenting and updating this information frequently.

This is actually very interesting..thank you very much for the heads up....got to look into it a bit more...i guess this means I can't grom it....or if i do...does that mean i have to just label it as a dietary supplement....HAHAHAHA...can you smoke it hahahahaha

• Heather
  • whyizit
    whyizit

Thanks everyone!

I used Bondie's recipe and the pies turned out wonderful!

I use Stevia myself. I go along with the idea that artificial sweeteners cannot be good for you. The Stevia helps my digestive system. I only use it in tea and other drinks. Never tried it in any recipes.

Let me know how that works!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

My copy of baking with Stevia came in today's mail, and it has a recipe for Blackberry Cream Pie.

(I'm assuming you don't need the crust recipe.)

FILLING

4 cups ripe blackberries (fresh or frozen)

1 cup of water

1 cup of unsweetened apple juice

2 tablespoons lemon juice

pinch of salt

10 ounces soft or silken tofu

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 teaspoon stevia extract powder (without fillers)

3 tablespoons agar-agar (or 1.5 pkgs gelatin)

Cook the blackberries in the water, apple juice, lemon juice and salt until the fruit is completely broken down. After cooking press the the berries through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the seeds. This will yield 2 cups of hot berry juice. If you have more, reduce it to 2 cups by boiling it down.

Blend the tofu, vanilla and stevia in a blender with one cup of berry juice until creamy.

Place the other cup of berry juice in a small pan. Dissolve the agar-agar in the hot sauce. bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer cooking until all the agar-agar is dissolved, about 3 or 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the agar-agar/berry sauce to the mixture in the blender and process until it is smooth and creamy.

Pour the blender contents into a cooked pie shell and chill 1- 2 hours.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit