Question for diabetics---Need a recipe:

by whyizit 14 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

My husband's friend at work is a diabetic and is leaving to go to a new job. My husband promised I would make him a couple of fresh blackberry pies from our own fresh picked blackberries, but they have to be made without sugar!

My typical way of pie baking is the lazy woman's way. Take two store bought pie crusts, layer berries and sugar/flour mixture, top with another store bought crust, and pop in the oven.

Do I do the same thing, but use Splenda rather than sugar? How much do I use? Haven't found a recipe online for simple blackberry pie, so I thought maybe someone here could advise me.

Thanks for your help. I've been here so long, I love to come to you guys first when I have questions about almost anything, even recipes. :0)

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Here is the simple solution:

Make the blackberry pies in your normal fashion. Send them to me in Houston. That way, no one gets hurt and you do not waste perfectly good black berries by pouring *gag* Splenda all over them.

Jeannie

• jgnat
    jgnat

Splenda should work in the pie, as all you are using it for is the sweetening power. It absolutely caves in chocolate brownies. Get the sugar replacement that's cup-for-cup and use a regular recipe.

• snarf
    snarf

You can actually substitue applesauce for sugar, vary vary good and adds a new texture to the mix. You can also go to www.diabetesrecipes.com for further help with substituions.

• blondie
    blondie

Sugar-Free Fresh Berry Pie

From Laura Dolson,
    Your Guide to Low Carb Diets.
    FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now! I make this pie with blackberries, but I think it would work great with raspberries. (Actually, my very favorite is the olallieberry, a variety of blackberry which grows near the West Coast of the United States.) I'm planning on trying a version with strawberries next. The filling is mostly uncooked, with just a glaze over it. I use the almond pie crust for this recipe.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 almond pie crust, baked (see link above)
    • 1 quart (4 cups) blackberries
    • dash of salt
    • 3/4 cup water
    • 4 teaspoons corn starch
    • 1 Tablespoon butter (optional, but recommended)
    • Sugar substitute to taste - about 3/4 cup - liquid form of Splenda preferred*
    • *for example, you could use 3/4 cup Da Vinci's Simple Syrup instead of water
    PREPARATION:

1) Mix the water, one cup of berries, salt, and sweetener in a saucepan (it should be big enough to eventually hold all the berries). Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Berries should be softening and the liquid berry-colored.

2) Whisk cornstarch into mixture. Make sure it is fully dissolved. Cook until mixture darkens and clarifies (in other words, most of the lightness from the cornstarch goes away).

3) Add butter, and stir until melted. Add the rest of the berries, and stir until coated with the glaze.

4) Pour into baked shell and chill.

Makes 8 servings. Serving suggestion: top with whipped cream flavored with a bit of vanilla and sweetener. How to Make Whipped Cream

Nutritional Information: Each serving has 5.5 grams effective carbohydrate plus 6 grams fiber, 5 grams protein, and 189 calories.

This About.com page has been optimized for print. To view this page in its original form, please visit: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/r/lowcarbberrypie.htm

• John Doe
    John Doe
    You can actually substitue applesauce for sugar, vary vary good and adds a new texture to the mix. You can also go to www.diabetesrecipes.com for further help with substituions.

You do realize that applesauce is loaded with sugar, don't you?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

applesauce is a better substitute for fat, in recipes such as cake, nut/date breads, brownies, that sort of thing. Contributes moisture without the calories of fat. Use applesauce for half the fat called for in the recipe.

• jgnat
    jgnat

John Doe, diabetics have to watch ALL sugars, but refined sugar the most. The blackberries themselves would have a fair amount of sugar (fructose), the same kind of sugar in applesause (fructose).

The sugar substitutes are not processed by the body as sugar.

To keep my sugars level, it is easiest for me to avoid refined sugar (sucrose) altogether, but keep to my portions of fruit a day. Preferably raw.

• snarf
    snarf

John Doe,

My family is FULL of Diabetics, as well as myself while pregnant and applesauce has been a staple in our households for many years.

Hortensia was right though, use it for fat substitute...my bad....oops.

Thanks Jgnat for the support!!!

I just never liked the aftertaste those sugar substituees leave in my mouth, so I always try and find more natural substitutes.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned STEVIA - the herbal extract that is completely natural and carb-free. I've been using it in tea and coffee instead of the artificial sweeteners, and I like to think my liver is smiling in appreciation of the change.

Probably I'm too skeptical, but I just don't like the idea behind splenda - start with sugar (except they don't really) and substitute chlorine for a bunch of the hydrogens, et voila! a molecule that no organism on earth has ever metabolized! The people who make it can't even tell you what happens to splenda once it is in your body. It goes in, but it doesn't seem to come out. My guess is that it is packed away in the liver somewhere, and I worry that in 20 years we'll all be saying, "yeah, that Splenda was some pretty harsh shit!"

I've just ordered a couple of Stevia cookbooks from Amazon. I'll be reporting back...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit