The "Seventy Years" explained

by Doug Mason 72 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Post 1565

I too have replied to every argument that you have posted. Ditto! Regarding Jeremiah 25:12 the exact wording "And it must occur that when seventy years have been fulfilled I shall call to account against the king of Babylon and against that nation, is the utterance of Jehovah, their error, even against the land of the Chaldeans, and I will make it desolate wastes to time indefinite".

Plainly, the calling to account was not the Fall of Babylon but her destruction as defined by being made desolate. This defined 'calling to account; is therein described and was applied to the king of Babylon, nation of Babylon and the land of Chaldea. Clearly, the recipients of the error did not experience that judgement in 539 BCE at the Fall but rather at a much later time which only commenced fulfillment only after the expiration of the seventy years in 537 BCE. It is simply impossible to use this text to prove that the 'calling to account' only happened at her Fall. Your theory is thus disproved.

The numbering of the days of Babylon described by Daniel pertain to the Fall of Babylon which was also foretold by Daniel who not only prophesied Babylon's Fall but her destruction.

Further, Jeremiah 25:12 begins what scholars call the OAN- Oracles Against the Nations where Jeremiah lists all those nations who had served the King of Babylon including Judah which were made to drink of wine of rage. And what that and how were all these nations called to account? It was by devastatation began in Judah which followed on to all of them. Jer. 25:18.

scholar JW

• Siamsa
    Siamsa

Celebrated WT scholars/experts/authors ? Where is this going to end bearing in mind that most experts require a university education and the degree to prove it. A rare commodity in pre 1975 JW land. Rarer than rocking horse sh!te ! C'mon now !

I was recently talking to a world renowned bar fly who is an expert in the Church of Regurgitated Guinness ( formerly Scotch Spirit Branch ) and he told me "this is a pissing contest my friend, pass no heed on anyone who can't be quoted or talks through their arse". I am sure that there is independant written proof some where to prove what Scholar asserts is true regarding his celebrated anonymous experts.

I feel sorry for you in a christian, empathetic sort of way. I remember blindly making the same arguement regarding one of the celebrated author/translators of the NW translation of the bible when old Knorr soup and his mates were called into question by a genuine anchient greek scholar in my presence. My face burns red all these years later when I think of the idiotic reasoning I put forward in their defence.

I am holding my breath at the moment. I need to know who the current batch of celebrated experts are, so hurry up and don't try to make me laugh with your circular reasoning.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I too have replied to every argument that you have posted. Ditto! Regarding Jeremiah 25:12 the exact wording "And it must occur that when seventy years have been fulfilled I shall call to account against the king of Babylon and against that nation, is the utterance of Jehovah, their error, even against the land of the Chaldeans, and I will make it desolate wastes to time indefinite".

The difference is that I provide logical analysis with scriptural references, and you repeat tired WT sound bites that have been previously disproven with no valid rebuttal.

Plainly, the calling to account was not the Fall of Babylon but her destruction as defined by being made desolate. This defined 'calling to account; is therein described and was applied to the king of Babylon, nation of Babylon and the land of Chaldea. Clearly, the recipients of the error did not experience that judgement in 539 BCE at the Fall but rather at a much later time which only commenced fulfillment only after the expiration of the seventy years in 537 BCE. It is simply impossible to use this text to prove that the 'calling to account' only happened at her Fall. Your theory is thus disproved.

What a plainly stupid response. The calling to account began in 539, valided by events explicitly identified by Daniel. For how long Babylon would be desolate after that is irrelevant to the starting point of its judgement. Aside from the fact that the bible says in black and white that Babylon's king was indeed called to account in the agreed year of 539, no desolation of Babylon or judgement of its king occurred in the WT-claimed year of 537. The bible is quite clear that Babylon's king would only be called to account after the 70 years had ended.

The numbering of the days of Babylon described by Daniel pertain to the Fall of Babylon which was also foretold by Daniel who not only prophesied Babylon's Fall but her destruction.

Again, it doesn't matter whether/when such a period ends. You seek to place the calling to account of Babylon's king before the end of the 70 years. That is in complete contradiction of the bible.

Further, Jeremiah 25:12 begins what scholars call the OAN- Oracles Against the Nations where Jeremiah lists all those nations who had served the King of Babylon including Judah which were made to drink of wine of rage. And what that and how were all these nations called to account? It was by devastatation began in Judah which followed on to all of them. Jer. 25:18.

Not sure how you imagine this justifies your point of view. Indeed, it strengthens the point that the 70 years applied in the same way to all of those nations being address. Since not all of those nations had all of their inhabitants brought to Babylon, then verses 12-18, even on their own, contradict your view. In any case, verse 11 defines the nature of the 70 years as being of all of those nations serving Babylon. Furthermore, since the Medes are included in the list of nations (verse 26), they quite obviously could not be included as serving Babylon up until 537. You're a common liar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit