UN vs WT -It doesn't matter

by Dan B 43 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

Im 43 now. My bet is, that if I live to my expected lifespan of 75 years that the number of annointed will be about the same as it is now or even possibly higher.

Without the annointed there is no faithful and discreet slave. I know the Watchtower is already trying to move the mantel over to non-annointed ones, but I don't think this will be effective.

The whole concept of "The annointed", "The faith and discreet slave" class has a mystical appeal to it that the Watchtower cannot afford to lose.

Joel

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

After some lengthy discussion in chat with nelly and celtic and moxy and explorer and others--sorry if I don't remember all your names---

the thought comes up that people really can't be classified in little 'boxes' like 'social' or doctirnal'.

For muself I am a 'social' JW...I don't fall for the line of crap, haven't for years. But that doesn't mean i disagree with EVERYTHING they say...but speaking just for me personally all the good I got from the JW's I could have gotten from ANY organized religion...without paying the high price of low self esteem and the whole brain-dead experience. And no shunning.

I think Joel has a very good point....increasing the standards of living for JW and especially women and children may not ever reflect in numbers for the Watchtower. In fact, if the org is FORCED to become gentler and kinder, numbers may actually INCREASE.

But we have to take our victories where we can get them.

Dungbeetle...so much dung, so little time...

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

The fire is a "2 alarm" call. This UN thing has 'em back- pedaling and into damage control in less than a month. The Rutherford stuff and all of the early nonsence they kept covered for 50+ years.
    Communication and improved technology- Remember the policy makers and the GB'ers are stuck in the horse and buggy era. We are waging air war vs horse cavlalry, boys! (and girls). Telling the rank and file to stay away from the "evil internet" will not cut it much longer.

• Dan B
    Dan B

Viewing Badwillie's post about being publicly reproved for discussing this UN fiasco makes me think that this issue does indeed matter, but not to the JW's in general. It matters to those who feel that ethical conduct in life, whether personally or as an organized religion, is important. I guess hypocrisy is the key. If it bothers you, this issue matters. If it doesn't bother you, or you find hypocrisy only in all the other religions (due to turning a blind eye to the obvious), then it won't matter.

Maybe if Badwillie's experience gets broad exposure, it will help open the eyes of loyal JW's. After all, anybody who ever has had any dealings with the elders will relate to his experience. I know, I went through it with the beard issue 10 years ago. Most elders I knew were losers in the real world, barely holding down a job. But when they become elders, it is their one and only chance to be a somebody, and, by golly, they are going to rub it in. Common sense goes out the window and egos fire up. Of course, there were some decent fellas who were elders, but this was an exception, not the rule.

Dan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit