Harry Potter and the Superstitious Dubbies(not Dobbie)

by undercover 12 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

(This thread is inspired in part by fifi40's thread about battling her ex-husband in letting their son go see the new HP movie.)

Still having contact with JW family and some JW friends that I grew up with, it's interesting to see their reaction when conversations come up about the HP books and movies.

My JW mother-in-law snorted and grunted her disapproval and locked herself in her bedroom while visiting while I was watching one of the movies. I was watching it when she came in from shopping with other family members and I wasn't about to turn it just because she was in the room.

My brother, DFd but not free of the control of the WTS, expressed shock that I had read all the books and commented on them being "demonic". I made him watch part of one of the movies and I could see that he was uncomfortable. He kept squirming in his chair whenever a wand or a potion was used. I let him change it when he got too uncomfortable.

A JW acquaintance that I work with will quietly leave any conversation when HP comes up. What's ironic (or hypocritical maybe) is that he has no qualms about going and seeing R-rated movies that feature violence or nudity but he refused to even discuss the HP movies. He went to see the LOTR trilogy. I haven't figured out why JWs figure that J.R.R. Tolkien fantasy is okay but J.K. Rowling fantasy isn't.

A JW friend that I go to the movies with sometimes flatly refused to even discuss going to see the HP movie. He shook his head and actually took a step back away from me when I suggested that we could see the HP movie.

Anyone else have any interesting experiences to share about the HP phenonomen and their JW friends/relatives?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My mother at first protested letting my children have anything to do with Harry Potter but then sent my daughter a pair of Harry Potter socks...go figure.

• Mum
    Mum

Seeing the Harry Potter films would be participation in the culture to a degree that might make JW kids feel akin to normal and less like freaks. I had a friend with an extensive video collection who would have me over to her house as often as possible to see films I had missed in my dub days and before. Before I got involved with the dubs, I lived with a fundamentalist grandfather who thought seeing any movie was a sin.

Still catching up with the rest of the world,

SandraC

• Descender
    Descender

I guess the Harry Potter ban is still going strong with the JW's. My brother, who hasn't been going to a lot of meetings as of late came over to my house last Saturday with two Harry Potter movies and asked if he could watch them with me. I didn't have anything better to do, so we sat down and watched two Harry Potter movies in a row.

My brother's wife called during the movies to see what he was doing and he told me that if she asked, to tell her that he was watching Lord of the Rings with me. I made fun of him and said, how exactly is Harry Potter any worse than Lord of the Rings. He said, I don't know, but if she knows I watched Harry Potter with you she'll make sure my life is a living hell for awhile.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Back in the days when we were still active, my daughter was in a class with another JW boy. Both kids were known as witnesses. The teacher would read portions of the book to the class each day. When this happened, the other boy had to leave the room, but my daughter got to stay.

I told her that if anyone asks why there is a difference between the two of them, she could say that they are orthodox JWs, while we are reformed.

We're totally reformed, now.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    Seeing the Harry Potter films would be participation in the culture to a degree that might make JW kids feel akin to normal and less like freaks.

Ditto.

Can't have the jw kiddies reading Potter, no they should be reading my book of bible stories or my/your youth (what ever the hell it's called) book. And going door to door.

• Gill
    Gill

LOL at the reformed RunningMan!!!1

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I told her that if anyone asks why there is a difference between the two of them, she could say that they are orthodox JWs, while we are reformed.

We're totally reformed, now.

LMAO

Man that's funny.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I knew JWs that refused to see Harry Potter as well as Lord of the Rings, yet thoroughly enjoyed the movie "Willow", owned it, and watched it many times. For some reason that I couldn't understand, the magic, spells, trolls, witches, and violence were acceptable in this movie but not in others.

If nothing else, the JWs are consistent in their inconsistency.

W

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Not to go offtopic too much, but do you think the elders/overseers/GB treat the dubbie flock like Lucius treated Dobbie?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit