Harry Potter and the Superstitious Dubbies(not Dobbie)

by undercover 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I had some JW family stay at my house ONCE! I had to remove my Harry Potter books from the room that they were sleeping in, how silly is that? I think Harry Potter books and movies are very good for kids, hey what ever gets this generation to read is ok with me!

• Alana
    Alana

My JW mom used to cringe if there was talking about HP, but now she doesn't even flinch. It's not for her and if I were an active JW she would probably not act so indifferent, but we've pretty much come to the agreement that I'm not going back and she's accepted me and my family for what we are and do (including asking what we got for B-days, Xmas, etc.).

My ex-mother-in-law, however, won't let you even utter the name HP in her house and once made my daughter leave her book out on the front porch when she came over to visit. She will leave the room if a TV show focuses too much on any of the HP hype. (Can you say "fanatical"????)

JW's are not alone, though, in being so 'afraid' of HP. A school mate of my daughter attends a non-denomination church and her family is extremely anti-HP. When they showed the movie one day at school (for a fun day) the girl had to leave the room. (Boy, did that bring back memories....ugh.)

Anyway, my daughter busted her on how hypocritical is was that they loved and had all the Disney movies, Lord of the Rings, and other fantasy-type movies which included any kind of magic or whatever. The girl loves the legend of King Arthur, so my daughter asked her what was the difference between that fantasy with Merlin and HP. The girl had no response and finally just flat told everyone to leave her alone and that HP was evil and nothing would change their minds.

I can't stand the hypocriticalness of those who bash HP, but love other fantasy or magical stories, movies, or TV shows!!!!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My mom made a very strange face when I mentioned seeing the Harry Potter movies with the kids. She knows that we were reading the books before they were 'big' and that we have seen every movie and have all the DVDs. I remember some of the movies I saw with her. . .and wonder about that look on her face. she is very selectively moral about her information intake. I won't watch some kinds of violent movies myself, but I LOVED Die Hard. So go figure. We are all a bit inconsistent. When I was going to a southern baptist church there were some who would watch HP and some who wouldn't. Didn't seem to be much vitrol or judging on it, but hey, female Sun. Sch. teachers wore pants, so it wasn't an uptight group overall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit