Michael Vick Indicted On DogFighting Charges!

by SWALKER 26 Replies latest social current

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

It looks like there is some strong evidence, at least enough to charge him with numerous counts, including cruelty to animals. If found guilty he could face prison time. It's hard for me to believe that he was willing to risk his hard earned success for this dispicable behavior! It sounds as if the NFL is going to let him play until a verdict is reached. I wonder if public outcry will change that?

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=3387449

Swalker

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

I say the following knowing full well I risk being flamed, but:

I've never seen the big deal from the beginning of all this hype. Oh, I know, the PETA types and other bleeding hearts get all bent out of shape that the poor doggies got killed. But animals get killed in other pastimes that are legal, and considered "sporting". Oh sure, PETA types still get upset if a thoroughbred is 'put down', but nobody would give a damn if Vick owned racehorses. Nobody would give a damn if he was a hunter, and shot deer every year...well, maybe a few would, but he wouldn't have federal agents climbing up his arse with a flashlight.

What it all boils down to is money, and pet ownership. People more readily sympathize with animals that are kept for pets, the average citizen doesn't own a horse these days, and certainly not a thoroughbred-it's outside their consideration. But many people DO own dogs, so when dogs die, people are upset. I highly doubt that the government has made dogfights illegal out of the goodness of their heart, either. If it weren't for the fact that big money is bet on these fights, the government wouldn't give a damn either...oh wait, but horseraces are bet on too...OHHHH yeah, that's at LEGAL racetracks where the government can cash in and collect taxes.

For that matter, there are many more concerned over this issue than who care about the human 'animals' we call professional athletes, some of whom die also. Wasn't it just last year that an offensive lineman in the NFL died of heat stroke or something during practice? Probably on page 6 of your paper, buried in the sports section. But Vick had something to do with dogfights, holy cow, that's front page news.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I'd pay money to see Michael Vick get in the ring with one of the opposing dogs!!!!!!!!!

Swalker

• karvel
    karvel
    For that matter, there are many more concerned over this issue than who care about the human 'animals' we call professional athletes, some of whom die also. Wasn't it just last year that an offensive lineman in the NFL died of heat stroke or something during practice?

i feel no sympathy for professional athletes. lord knows they get paid enough for what they do.

cruelty is cruelty any way you look at it. dogfighting holds no cultural significance in civilized society.

• Gopher
    Gopher

This sounds really bad for Vick. Here's the key quote from the fellow at the Humane Society:

Some of the grisly details in these filings shocked even me, and I'm a person who faces this stuff every day," he said. "I was surprised to see that they were killing dogs by hanging them and one dog was killed by slamming it to the ground. Those are extremely violent methods of execution they're unnecessary and just sick."

To compare dog fighting with football is ludicrous. The dogs have no choice in the matter, and they don't get luxurious life styles as the result of their participation. They are totally manhandled and abused, and it's shocking that this kind of thing goes on in modern-day America.

And to the poster (AATW) who alluded to the lineman who died in the heat -- that happened August 1 2001, to a Minnesota Viking named Korey Stringer. It was front page on the Yahoo news website that day, and was extensively covered here in the Twin Cities and by the national sports media. As a result of the incident, all NFL teams changed their training camp procedures to ensure that all players are properly hydrated, and that if any are being overcome by the heat they must be allowed to come off the field. Many teams now train in light color uniforms (the vikings wear usually wear purple, not good in the heat), and a team doctor must be at the practice session at all times.

Tell me when such care and attention is given to dogs in the fighting arena. Never!

While his guilt hasn't been proven, Vick is sure acting embarrassed over this whole thing. He quickly sold the house where these events happened at a fire-sale price once it became public what was happening there. Vick is also the star quarterback who (after a bad Falcons loss) gave the middle finger to a taunting fan in his home park, I think the fan was a child. HIs behavior is an embarrassment.

He's been sliding by a little, because he is the star of his team. He makes the offense go. He is arguably the most exciting player to watch in pro football.

Vick's team, the Atlanta Falcons, play their first game of the regular season in Minnesota against the Vikings on Septermber 9. We Vikings fans are honestly wondering, will Mike Vick be there or not?

• SWALKER
    SWALKER
    To compare dog fighting with football is ludicrous. The dogs have no choice in the matter, and they don't get luxurious life styles as the result of their participation. They are totally manhandled and abused, and it's shocking that this kind of thing goes on in modern-day America.

This is shocking and I certainly hope that all involved get the book thrown at them! There is talk of Michael Vick being suspended and I think he should be until the trial is over.

Swalker

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

What a dumbass.

• delilah
    delilah

He knew it was illegal, he makes a shitload of money, WHY would he allow it to happen in his home? Stupid and greedy, if you ask me.

• restrangled
    restrangled

As a dog owner, I am outraged.

I have 2 very large Dobermans and am appalled at what I have read about this person. If you have ever seen dogs fight and the horrible carnage that ensues, it would break your heart.

There are no bad dogs, just bad humans!

r.

• snowbird
    snowbird

bttt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit