Why are extraterrestrials pictured in ugly form in movies?

by abiather 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

This is why i called your argument fallacious... You are confusing beauty with sexual desirablity.

fal·la·cious

(fə-lā′shəs)

adj.
    1. Containing or based on a fallacy: a fallacious assumption.
    2. Tending to mislead; deceptive: fallacious argument

But lets take your example and use it....

here is the 2014 ms universe:

Although i would say she is "pretty", that is having a relative degree of physical beauty, i do not find her particularly sexually appealing.

here is well known depiction (in the USA) of an alien

I find that very pretty, very sleek , yes even beautiful. However i do not find it sexually appealing or "beautiful" in the context you are citing.

Again, your argument/OP is fallacious.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Lol spelling is not my strong suit doc, i had to look it up for my first post :P
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Unless I am mistaken, we modern humans have never witnessed or documented an example of "speciation." Scientists assert that it has happened, based on evidence that convinces them it has taken place.

Aliens.... Hmmmm?? Let's say there are other carbon-based, bi-pedal life forms out there. They evolve under similar conditions and come to visit earth, they could look similar to us, yet I doubt it. Wanting "aliens" to look like us is egocentric.

What if there is a silicone-based, sentient race of galactic explorers headed our way? Who is to say they are ugly? They might think that we are ugly! After all, we are just better looking primates, and even that is debatable sometimes.

DD

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Why are extraterrestrials pictured in ugly form in movies?

Ugly according to who? Humans? Who's to say that we aren't ugly from an extra terrestrial perspective?

Faulty reasoning.

You might want to brush up on these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup
    all of them are shown in ugly form.

I think all they do is to imagine creatures that look different from humans. 'Ugly' is a judgement we pronounce on them using human standards and beauty criteria.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Morpheus,

Miss Columbia needs to do crossfit and eat a hamburger!

DD 😛

• abiather
    abiather

Dear all,

Real question is not about ugliness:

"Why can’t we depict an ET more beautiful/handsome than humans?

With our infinite potential for imagination, we are still UNABLE even to depict something better than humans just in physical appearance!?

• Caedes
    Caedes

There is the alien in the beginning of the Prometheus movie, he is quite handsome, The Na'vi in Avatar, in Mass Effect the Asari and the Hanar, in Warhammer 40000 the Eldar are beautiful. In fact I could probably do this all day if you want.

The word better is an entirely subjective description though so I suggest just googling beautiful alien and finding something that fits your criteria, unless of course you have already decided that nothing can fit your criteria.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Lol DD, thats a lotta woman there ;)

abaither, im trying to treat this with dignity. I really am.... You seem to think we dont get what your saying. We do. We understand very clearly. It is you who are missing what the replies have tried to impart to you....

Now, instead of misusing the word "beautiful" your attempting to substitute the word "handsome" and "better" but still using them in a the same context of sexual desirablity. We get it. You clearly dont.

Let me try this: "better" than humans.... Better for what? Better for hunting and killing? My picture of an imaginary alien posted previously is x10000000 more deadly than any human...

but its not "better" for mating, its not better for sexual gratification, its not more appealing to look at in a sexual context which seems to be what you debating. Nobody disagrees. Biologically speaking we dont find "handsome" "beautiful" or "better" that which we dont want to copulate with... It proves nothing to say that alien life imagined by man isnt desirable to attempt to copulate with. Of course it isnt. Its hard wired in the majority of humans by our biology to see other humans as sexual partners, not trees or fish or rocks or aliens. It dosent make trees or rocks or fish or aliens less than beautiful.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Real question is not about ugliness:
    "Why can’t we depict an ET more beautiful/handsome than humans?
    With our infinite potential for imagination, we are still UNABLE even to depict something better than humans just in physical appearance!?

I still say, who's to say that what has been depicted isn't better?

The point is, how do you know that these depictions aren't better or more beautiful/handsome than humans?

Beauty and handsomeness are subjective. For instance: I love the desert and find it beautiful. I love the cactus, heat, thorns, rock formations, everything about the desert. However, there is likely a large portion of the population that would look at what I call beautiful and say it's horrible, desolate and ugly.

The point is that your initial premise requires bias to be true.

From an unbiased point of view, nothing is beautiful and nothing is ugly. Everything is what it is and nothing more. Beauty and ugliness are just personal tastes.

To say that human depictions of alien races are somehow less beautiful or inferior to humans is a fallacy.

Your biggest problem, abiather, is not looking at things from a rational, objective point of view. Confirmation Bias is written all over your arguments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit