When Your Beliefs Are Challenged, How Do You React?

by The wanderer 26 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

When Your Beliefs Are Challenged, How Do You React?

When individuals question or challenge you about your beliefs, how do you react?

As a Jehovah’s Witness, many individuals became “touchy” when questions directed
    toward the Watchtower Society did not fit the popular conception, thought or ideal.

How about today, do you react with anger, defensiveness or hostility when your beliefs undergo challenges?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• poppers
    poppers

People form their identity around beliefs, especially religious ones. To have them challenged often brings a defensive reaction because that challenge subverts their identity, and who wants that? But look how some resort to outright killing in defense of their religious beliefs. Is it any wonder there is so much violence in the world? By and large, people don't want to examine their own beliefs because then "Who would I be?"

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

It depends on my mood, and whether I want to act up or not.

Dogz

• Twitch
    Twitch

Most of the time, I state my position and leave it at that. I seldom react to challenges of belief anymore and seldom challenge people on theirs. Live and let live.

Once in awhile given the right mood, right person and the right questions, I'll debate.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Beliefs are one thing you should keep emotions out of. Don't form your identity around your beliefs, that would be stupid. 1ust wake up every day and be convinced by things that are convincing. As new information is gathered, YOUR BELIEFS SHOULD CHANGE ON A DAILY BASIS. Don't hold on to any beliefs. Just let them go. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. It's as simple as that. So when someone challenges your beliefs you should thank them for helping you get rid of wrong beiefs.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

It depends on how it's presented. I never have a problem with a contrary opinion. But I'm far more likely to accept that opinion if it's presented in a tactful way. I don't respond to smugness or hostility, no matter how much validity there is to what is being said.

• Dawn
    Dawn

I'm pretty open minded these days - I don't get uptight about having my beliefs challenged. In fact, I am interested in hearing many opinions when it comes to beliefs. I figure the real truth will remain the real truth no matter what I or anyone else believes so why be afraid to ask questions or discuss ideas.

I was wrong once - I'm not arrogant enough to believe I can't be wrong again.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Wanderer wrote: "How about today, do you react with anger, defensiveness or hostility when your beliefs undergo challenges?"

Except for immediate family and very close friends, I never discuss my beliefs with others. It's none of their business, and I consider it a personal affront when anyone "challenges" my beliefs. As soon as the words "Jesus," "God," and "Bible" enter the conversation, the conversation is over.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Generally I'll take the challenge. I'll either

A: Win the debate.

B: Agree to disagree.

C: Convert.

D: Write my opponent off as an insane freak, and halt the pointless discussion about the shape of the earth.

Lore

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Wanderer I know what you mean about "touchiness" when a JW ,when my beliefs were challenged by people who I cared about in particular.

Since leaving and now having to re-evaluate my beliefs on the JW side of things ,it has moved me look at other things in life that I believed as cut and dried ,and challenge those things.

I guess it's like spreading all beliefs out on a table and assessing the history and value of them and do you know what? I am not as committed to anything in particular anymore and more willing to hear the other point of view and be more relaxed in life generally.

Is this what dissillusionment does to one?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit