When Your Beliefs Are Challenged, How Do You React?

by The wanderer 26 Replies latest jw friends

• bluebell
    bluebell

not great, I'm a bit rubbish in arguments! Have never learnt to fight my ground. I go um er um er and then agree with whoever is arguing with me even if I disagree!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Rich:

After having been so deceived by this religion, I have revised my belief system. I am much more open-minded and understanding towards people, as long as their belief system is not harmful to anybody else.

I have come to understand that everybody is entitled to an opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

LHG

• daystar
    daystar

My "beliefs" now are nowhere near as concrete as they were when I was a JW in my teens. The reason for this is that I see that beliefs are not truths, and while they do form a backdrop for how I perceive things, I know, again, that they are not truth, and should be flexible to allow for modification should new information be provided to me with enough "oomph!" or "AHA!".

So, I think I react very well to challenges to my beliefs generally. I try to challenge them myself! That is not to say I don't find myself on occasion falling into old habits, but I try to keep it in check.

I may be made of my beliefs, but just as they are subject to change, so am I. All is change, all is in motion, always. The universe is change.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    When Your Beliefs Are Challenged, How Do You React?

When I was a JW I perceived any challenge of my beliefs as a personal attack. Now I question a person's right to challenge my beliefs. As long as I refrain from spouting my opinions to others, and my beliefs have no consequences to others, I don't feel the need to explain myself to anyone.

W

• Brigid
    Brigid

I am now free from an agenda--no one need share my "beliefs" to support my fragile, egoic schema. I do not believe in ultimate truth (facts, yes...but even those change with growing scientific discoveries) but Truth? No. So I don't really have any reaction to someone disputing my "beliefs" (such as they are).

I marvel at the sea of ideas and philosophies, especially when it comes to explaining human existence and experience of the Divine (or lack thereof in some people's schema).

~B.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Daystar & Brigid:

Thank you for your commentary regarding
    this subject.

All the best to the both of you.

Respectfully,

Richard

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I sometime turn it around on them, ask them to prove that there is a god, you can't see him, you can't hear him, everything that you know came from man? well then when they say well I just believe in my heart, then I tell them well thats how I feel about my beliefs, and you can't change my heart. usually ends the converstation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit